Re: [FJGRailroad] Another Dye Business?

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2007
      Morrel Vrooman engineering and construction company had a contract to repave third avenue, in Gloversville. They dug out all the clay down two or three feet, installed new storm and sanitary sewers, filled it back in with sand and paved it with concrete. This took all one summer. They had a power shovel and a large gasoline engine powered paving machine which mixed the concrete and dumped it where needed. It was a great education to watch all of this. One of their engineers was named Nagle (who lived on Yale  Street).

      Mal Horton
      From: p.charlie@sympatico .ca
      Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 07:51:51 -0400

      Hi Paul,

      Not picking on you... really, just trying to pick your brain! Actually
      I was hoping my questions would generate more participation from the
      group as a whole and not rely on just one person. In the case of Dye
      Oil, as it's not a customer (although I'd hope they received product on
      the team track), I could draw it without ever knowing what their name
      was or what they did but it's a way for me to learn more about the line,
      and maybe a way for others to learn as well.

      Now, this is a bit sticky, do I ask about Morrell Vrooman or not...

      Paul :-)

      Paul Larner wrote:
      > Funny I just had the thought that the oil company might have been Dye
      > Oil. You're asking me to recall random knowledge from a period I
      > really wasn't paying attention. Someone else may recall if that
      > company, Dye Oil, was in Gloversville and Saul or another of us
      > living in the city at the time may recall the explosion. I think it
      > was a Sunday night; IIRC we were watching the Ed Sullivan show; early
      > fifties.

    • Richard Finn
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
        I will admit to being one of your old farts, but my 1950s memories are only so-so.  My wife accuses me of remembering minutia from 50-60 years ago, but not what she asked me to do five minutes ago.

        Morrel Vrooman was a civil and sanitary (water and sewer) engineering and design firm.  During my college years I had two occasions of part time employment with Vrooman.  The firm is now a wholly owned subsidiary of C T Main, a Boston based international civil and environmental engineering design firm.  Notice how the "sanitary engineering" description has evolved in our new P C culture.

        Dick

        On Nov 2, 2007, at 8:16 PM, Paul Larner wrote:

        I have heard of old farts who could remember everything from their childhood but not the past week.  I hope I'm not about to cross that line..

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
        From: p.charlie@sympatico .ca
        Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 20:09:50 -0400

        Hi Paul,

        I did turn up a Morrel Vrooman in a Google search that was an
        engineering firm in Upstate New York, just not in the
        Gloversville- Johnstown area, might be the same firm just moved out of
        the area. I see the building still stands as of the time the Google
        Earth shots were taken.

        Paul :-)

        Paul Larner wrote:
        > I believed Morrel Vrooman was an engineering (construction) company
        > but I can't say for sure, or I may have them mixed up with another
        > company with a similar name. I should have been buying those
        > Gloversville and county directories these past several years.
        >
        > PKL

        Boo! Scare away worms, viruses and so much more! Try Windows Live OneCare! Try now!

      • Robert Schoneman
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
          I have heard of old farts who could remember everything from their childhood but not the
          past week. I hope I'm not about to cross that line..

          PKL

          Sorry Paul, out of luck. That proverbial line is fluid and shifts like the wind. Most
          likely you don't even know it until you don't even know what your talking about. Has no
          age boundry as well.

          ...like me now.

          Usually is accompanied by the taste of ones foot in mouth.

          Still have many more pics to scan for group.

          Hi temps this week to be in 30's and snow flurries. I'll send it your way.

          Regards,

          Bob Schoneman
          Appleton, WI