Dye Oil

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2007
      Yeah, I remember when the tank blew up. It was scary because from my house on 5th Ave near E. Boulevard, you could see a glow in the sky, 3 to 4 miles away. About 340, I don't think it arrived on line with seats. The previous owner may have removed the seats. About mail service, I think we've all seen the picture of #8 and a heavyweight mail/baggage car at the Johnstown freighthouse. This must have been what you were saying after trolley service to Fonda ended. So do you think that one car was on lease or rent and went back and forth to Fonda, or what. Also, whoever signed off on buying #340 didn't know what poor performers they were. Lots of noise and smoke between breakdowns. And then it got its nose bloodied by #14. I'll bet there were some blown stacks at HQ that day.

      Go Lions!
      Saul
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2007
        The NYC was a ready source of equipment when the FJ&G fell short for any number of reasons and type.  Locomotives were borrowed as well as the baggage cars on many times.  Such was not always the case.  At the time of the Exposition at Buffalo (1901?) the FJ&G sent a few of their coaches to Albany with passengers account not enough NYC coaches available for the excursion.  The NYC sent them in revenue service to Buffalo, to the chagrin of the FJ&G powers that be (were).  I suppose the Central hoped they wouldn't be noticed if just for a quick turn-around but they were observed and reported passing through Fonda.

        One photo at the Johnstown Express office was taken in 1938, shortly after the trolley line closed.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: fjgbus@...
        Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 15:36:05 -0400