RE: [FJGRailroad] Another Dye Business?

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
      I'll stand to be corrected on this one but I think that is an oil company.  Some years ago, in the fifties I recall one of their fuel tanks blew up.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: p.charlie@...
      Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 07:42:14 -0400
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Another Dye Business?

      Hi All,

      There appears to be another dye business in the area that I'm working
      on. Looks like several corrugated gable roof buildings and half a dozen
      horizontal storage tanks just south of Hill Street across from Morrell
      Vrooman's, between the creek and South Main Street. Anyone know what
      the name of this business was? Does not appear to be served by rail,
      maybe received cars on the team track though.

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
        Hi Paul,

        Thanks for the explanation on the express runs of 340. As far as the
        oil company goes, that will teach them for not having a siding!

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
          Funny I just had the thought that the oil company might have been Dye Oil.  You're asking me to recall random knowledge from a period I really wasn't paying attention.  Someone else may recall if that company, Dye Oil, was in Gloversville and Saul or another of us living in the city at the time may recall the explosion.  I think it was a Sunday night; IIRC we were watching the Ed Sullivan show; early fifties.

          PKL

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: p.charlie@...
          Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 16:24:44 -0400
          Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Another Dye Business?

          Paul Larner wrote:
          > I'll stand to be corrected on this one but I think that is an oil
          > company. Some years ago, in the fifties I recall one of their fuel
          > tanks blew up.
          >
          > PKL

          Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by today!
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2007
            Hi Paul,

            Not picking on you... really, just trying to pick your brain! Actually
            I was hoping my questions would generate more participation from the
            group as a whole and not rely on just one person. In the case of Dye
            Oil, as it's not a customer (although I'd hope they received product on
            the team track), I could draw it without ever knowing what their name
            was or what they did but it's a way for me to learn more about the line,
            and maybe a way for others to learn as well.

            Now, this is a bit sticky, do I ask about Morrell Vrooman or not...

            Paul :-)

            Paul Larner wrote:
            > Funny I just had the thought that the oil company might have been Dye
            > Oil. You're asking me to recall random knowledge from a period I
            > really wasn't paying attention. Someone else may recall if that
            > company, Dye Oil, was in Gloversville and Saul or another of us
            > living in the city at the time may recall the explosion. I think it
            > was a Sunday night; IIRC we were watching the Ed Sullivan show; early
            > fifties.
            >
            > PKL
          • Richard Finn
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2007
              I don't remember the explosion, (away at college?), but I do remember Dye Oil.  The picture in my mind is a raised tank.

              Dick

              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
              From: p.charlie@sympatico .ca
              Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 16:24:44 -0400

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2007
                I believed Morrel Vrooman was an engineering (construction) company but I can't say for sure, or I may have them mixed up with another company with a similar name.  I should have been buying those Gloversville and county directories these past several years.

                PKL

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: p.charlie@...
                Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 07:51:51 -0400

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Hi Paul,

                  I did turn up a Morrel Vrooman in a Google search that was an
                  engineering firm in Upstate New York, just not in the
                  Gloversville-Johnstown area, might be the same firm just moved out of
                  the area. I see the building still stands as of the time the Google
                  Earth shots were taken.

                  Paul :-)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2007
                    I have heard of old farts who could remember everything from their childhood but not the past week.  I hope I'm not about to cross that line..

                    PKL

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    From: p.charlie@...
                    Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 20:09:50 -0400

                    Paul Larner wrote:
                    > I believed Morrel Vrooman was an engineering (construction) company
                    > but I can't say for sure, or I may have them mixed up with another
                    > company with a similar name. I should have been buying those
                    > Gloversville and county directories these past several years.

                  • Malcolm Horton
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2007
                      Morrel Vrooman engineering and construction company had a contract to repave third avenue, in Gloversville. They dug out all the clay down two or three feet, installed new storm and sanitary sewers, filled it back in with sand and paved it with concrete. This took all one summer. They had a power shovel and a large gasoline engine powered paving machine which mixed the concrete and dumped it where needed. It was a great education to watch all of this. One of their engineers was named Nagle (who lived on Yale  Street).

                      Mal Horton

                      To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                      From: p.charlie@sympatico .ca
                      Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 07:51:51 -0400

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
                        Hi Paul,

                        You calling me an old fart! I remember seeing the fire from a USAF
                        C-133 that crashed on take-off in Goose Bay Labrador back in 1964, ten
                        days before I turned four, but don't ask me what I had for supper the
                        other night!

                        Paul :-)

                        Paul Larner wrote:
                        > I have heard of old farts who could remember everything from their
                        > childhood but not the past week. I hope I'm not about to cross that
                        > line..
                        >
                        > PKL
                      • Richard Finn
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
                          I will admit to being one of your old farts, but my 1950s memories are only so-so.  My wife accuses me of remembering minutia from 50-60 years ago, but not what she asked me to do five minutes ago.

                          Morrel Vrooman was a civil and sanitary (water and sewer) engineering and design firm.  During my college years I had two occasions of part time employment with Vrooman.  The firm is now a wholly owned subsidiary of C T Main, a Boston based international civil and environmental engineering design firm.  Notice how the "sanitary engineering" description has evolved in our new P C culture.

                          Dick

                          To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                          From: p.charlie@sympatico .ca
                          Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 20:09:50 -0400

                          Paul Larner wrote:
                          > I believed Morrel Vrooman was an engineering (construction) company
                          > but I can't say for sure, or I may have them mixed up with another
                          > company with a similar name. I should have been buying those
                          > Gloversville and county directories these past several years.
                          >
                          > PKL

                          Boo! Scare away worms, viruses and so much more! Try Windows Live OneCare! Try now!

                        • Robert Schoneman
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
                            I have heard of old farts who could remember everything from their childhood but not the
                            past week. I hope I'm not about to cross that line..

                            PKL

                            Sorry Paul, out of luck. That proverbial line is fluid and shifts like the wind. Most
                            likely you don't even know it until you don't even know what your talking about. Has no
                            age boundry as well.

                            ...like me now.

                            Usually is accompanied by the taste of ones foot in mouth.

                            Still have many more pics to scan for group.

                            Hi temps this week to be in 30's and snow flurries. I'll send it your way.

                            Regards,

                            Bob Schoneman
                            Appleton, WI