E S Pankhurst & Co.

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007
      Hi All,

      The sign over the door says "Wool - Hair" but the four big cyclone
      collectors on the roof along with what appears to be a pile of woodchips
      and one of sawdust make me think furniture. The question of the day it,
      what did Pankhurst make, can't find anything on the net!

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007
        They called it the hair-mill, but they could have done anything with that!

        Gino

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007
          Back before foam cushions, hair and etc. were used as stuffing.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007
            The Parkhurst Mill processed animal hair for whatever uses it had in the market place.  I cannot recall ever hearing that anything else was processed on that site.

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007
              Thanks Guys,

              Guys the two piles that looked like woodchips and sawdust might have
              been sand and gravel or something!

              Paul :-)

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007
                What were they stuffing Aaron?

                Gino

                www.ginosrailpage.com
                www.fjgrr.org
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007
                  Cushions for chairs and etc. Pull apart a really old chair and you'll see
                  hair.

                  -Aaron

                  > What were they stuffing Aaron?
                  >
                  > Gino
                • Dave Brennan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 19, 2007
                       If youse mean the hair mill that is at the corner (now) of Harrison & Arterial , What they did was take the hair off the skins so they could be tanned . Smelled bad. The photos might show piles of skins to be dehaired..      To bad my father-in-law died last year, he could of told us all about it .   They (?)are slowly taking it down now.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007
                      Hi Dave,

                      That's the one! Come to think of it I do remember the padding of out
                      kitchen chairs back in the '60s were some kind of hair, some poor Jersey
                      Cow if I'm correct! Also used to have horse hair furnace filters back
                      then for the old oil furnace.

                      Paul :-)