Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Postcards - Electric ROW

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2007
      At one point there was a whistle post near where the line came out along
      the river but I know with 100% certainty that it is gone now.

      Dave Nestle told me he walked back into Cayadutta Park in the '60s and
      nothing was left. I've seen pictures from the years following the removal
      of the electric line nothing was visible then, either.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2007
        Jerry,

        Gino and I started in there several years ago only to find several washouts and generally rough hiking conditions though I'm comfortable that one could walk through to rte 30A crossing.  The last time I did that I was probably 14 adn it was much easier walking.   Once you cross 30, IIRC, pretty much all the right of way is visible and can readily be walked; it won't be the condition when I walked it back around 1959.  Have also walked the line to Tribes Hill from Johnstown.  In that time period there was a lot for the scavenger to find - date nails, pole markers and an odd spike and other jewelry - tie piles were particularly interesting.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: handyman756@...
        Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 03:04:03 +0000
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Postcards - Electric ROW

        I just put up four more postcards to the Fonda album, the Walter
        Butler House on Switzer Hill, the new Courthouse, a shot of both
        courthouses, and another shot of the Old Courthouse and Sheriff's Home.

        On another subject, has anyone hiked the electric ROW out of Fonda up
        to the junction? I was looking at the satellite photos and think I
        had the right areas. Most of it looks to be inaccessible other than
        by foot at the Fonda end. Just wondering what if anything might still
        be alone there in the way of artifacts.
        Jerry

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 16, 2007
          Jerry,

          The ROW from Fonda is accessible.  Nothing remains from the trolley line.  I went there back in
          the 80's and there were still ties in the ground.  Steve Lamora and I hiked it a few years ago and
          the ties were gone.  If you keep up the trail, you come out in the guy's backyard on 30A.  The whistle
          post is still in his yard, but I've noticed that he's moved it from the former ROW.

          The ROW from 30A to Old Trail is now used by the Town of Mohawk Fire DEPT. as a fire road.
          I drove up it once just so I could say I drove the Cayadutta ROW.  I figured if the cops came, so
          what!

          The line from Old Post up to Sulpher Springs is on farmland and is really hard to walk.  The farmers
          wouldn't like it either.  You can tell where the line crossed Argersinger and Old Johnstown roads, but
          I don't think it would be an easy walk...

          Gino