Unknown Industry

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2007
      Hi All,

      The other day I asked about an unknown industry north of Johnstown in
      the Industrial Park. I think I was asking about the wrong industry as I
      think the one I asked about with a siding off the main is a newer
      industry. The one I would really like to know about was located north
      of Harrison Street, northwest of the creek, on South Main Street. The
      building shows up in satellite shots taken in 1995 but only a freshly
      cleared lot appears in Google Earth which were taken in 1998.

      Here's a shot of the plant in 1995, it's under the "What is This?":

      http://xs220.xs.to/xs220/07421/UnknownIndustry.jpg

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2007
        Paul,  The company you're referring to in my day was Lee Dye which dyed leather.   In that time they would get one car a year and right in the middle of winter so we had to dig and pick the entire track out.  When the company name changed from Helburn Thomson to Lee I don't know off the top of my head, I think it may have been some time in the fifties however.

        As a kid I recall walking in there from the tracks and crossing a small brook (drainage ditch probably) that was black as ink.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com