RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G MSTS Shots

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2007
      Paul,

      A really nice job.

      For the period that you are doing, mid 50's I gather, a couple adjustments would add to the accuracy.  First the main track at Johnstown between West State and West Main Streets is still in and used, crossing West Main Street with a switch accessing the tracks you show crossing West Main  located south of the crossing; 2. is that the Associated Grocers track at Fulton Street in Johnstown was not installed until June of 1959.  The track next to the freight platform wasn't used as the through track until the closing of the freight house.  That would be late fifties at which time the main was soon removed up to the dirt crossing.

      I was surprised to see No. 30 hauling freight up the hill.  I wouldn't be surprised, if anyone alive could recall, that the 30 was in Fonda only three times in all the time it was on the FJ&G:  when it arrived, one fan trip during which it had to be rescued on the up hill trip, and when it left.

      You're doing some really fine work.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: p.charlie@...
      Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 18:23:43 -0400
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G MSTS Shots

      Hi All,

      Thought I'd post a link to ten screen shots I've posted to the Microsoft
      Train-sim forum of what I've completed so far, which is Fonda to
      Johnstown. No need to register, just use the link below to get to the
      shots:

      http://forums. flightsim. com/ts/dcboard. php?az=show_ topic&forum= 13&topic_ id=88827& mesg_id=88827& page=

      Paul

      Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by today!
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 13, 2007
        Hi Paul,

        I'm shooting for 1958 or 1959, I'm working from the photos Gino supplied
        years ago when I was drawing the FJ&G in 3PI. There are other things
        that make it hard to be 100% accurate, MSTS does not allow you to "hand
        lay" switches so you are stuck with the ones that come in the library
        they supply. Back in February when I started this I did try to get the
        crossover in at West Main St but couldn't get it to work as the
        selection of switches available made the crossover way too long by the
        time I got it to fit. Later I noticed that the crossover was removed so
        I guess I can live with that.

        I've only got 30 to use as motive power at this time. There's an S-1
        available in the MSTS library but the only S-2 at this time is payware.
        I'm staying away from any payware as I'll be making my route free to
        all and don't feel it's a good idea to have a free route but force
        people to pay for someone else's S-2 to operate on it. When I get
        further along, like to the station in Gloversville, maybe I'll stop long
        enough to draw my own S-2 and that will become freeware as well.

        I have about 1000 hour sunk into this project, easily nine more months
        of work to do. There's still lots to do to complete the route, may even
        have to stop and draw a big batch of cars that would have been around in
        the late fifties to populate my streets, wouldn't mind doing an FJ&G
        delivery truck to meet 340 at the Gloversville station with the express
        freight from Northville... just need time and a photo or two!

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13, 2007
          Holy crap Paul!  You're holding out on us!!!  Where do you you keep the time machine!!!!!

          Gino

          --
          www.ginosrailpage.com
          www.fjgrr.org
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13, 2007
            Hi Gino,

            You supplied the time machine a few years ago, I'm just hoping I'm
            reading the information right!

            I do have a couple of questions I need help with before starting the
            next phase which will be between Townsend Rd in Johnstown and bridge
            just south of Gloversville, the double track bridge with the single track.

            This morning I discovered I missed a spur that runs west off the
            mainline north of Johnstown. Accessed from the south, takes a hard
            curve west through the bushes, then goes where? I can see the spur on
            Google Earth, it appears to end at an industry on Industrial Parkway
            that has green gable roof and a tall silo at the back.

            Another question I have is about the track that paralleled the east side
            of the main across from the switch that served Independent Leather...
            where did it end in 1959? It appears to end before the double track
            bridge but after looking at Google Earth it doesn't take too much
            imagination to make you think it might have taken a right along the
            creek and served an industry a few blocks east of the mainline.

            Any help would be greatly appreciated.

            Paul :-)