Re: Fonda Postcards Added

  • Glenn J. Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2007
      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "handyman756" <handyman756@...> wrote:

      > Went to the big postcard show in Amsterdam last week and picked up a
      > few more Fonda cards. I finally got them cleaned up and just posted
      > them to the FONDA album. It's the first time I've seen the card of
      > the Center Street crossing. I can't tell from the picture - anyone
      > know which corner the shanty was on? BTW, the old sheriff's residence
      > is gone and the demolition contractor is working on the old jail
      > structure now. The entire building should be down by the end of the
      > week. The area will be seeded and provide a park-like area to the
      > east of the courthouse.
      > Jerry

      Jerry,

      IIRC, that crossing guard shanty would have been on the southwest corner, catty-corner
      from a corresponding one on the northeast corner (at the edge of the Mohawk Democrat
      buidling).

      If I remember the sequence of events properly, when the crossing gates were mechanised,
      that function for the guards was made obsolete. However, the northeast corner guard was
      kept around as protection for the school kids crossing the tracks from the school on Park
      Street.

      Glenn
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2007
        Great postcards Jerry!

        Gino

        --
        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2007
          Thanks Glenn! Needed to know the orientation for a
          project I'm working on.
          Jerry
          --- "Glenn J. Williams" <gjwilliams@...> wrote:

          > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "handyman756"
          > <handyman756@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Went to the big postcard show in Amsterdam last
          > week and picked up a
          > > few more Fonda cards. I finally got them cleaned
          > up and just posted
          > > them to the FONDA album. It's the first time I've
          > seen the card of
          > > the Center Street crossing. I can't tell from the
          > picture - anyone
          > > know which corner the shanty was on? BTW, the old
          > sheriff's residence
          > > is gone and the demolition contractor is working
          > on the old jail
          > > structure now. The entire building should be down
          > by the end of the
          > > week. The area will be seeded and provide a
          > park-like area to the
          > > east of the courthouse.
          > > Jerry
          > >

          > Jerry,
          >
          > IIRC, that crossing guard shanty would have been on
          > the southwest corner, catty-corner
          > from a corresponding one on the northeast corner (at
          > the edge of the Mohawk Democrat
          > buidling).
          >
          > If I remember the sequence of events properly, when
          > the crossing gates were mechanised,
          > that function for the guards was made obsolete.
          > However, the northeast corner guard was
          > kept around as protection for the school kids
          > crossing the tracks from the school on Park
          > Street.
          >
          > Glenn

          Need a vacation? Get great deals
          to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.