RE: [FJGRailroad] High Bridge

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
      Why did I write 108?  It is 104 feet long sorry but I trust you haven't completed it since I gave you an incorrect number.

      PKL

      To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: pklarner@...
      Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 00:52:31 -0400
      Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] High Bridge

      Skip, 108 feet long and 40 feet above the creek.  Contact Steve Lamora in this group who made exceptionally realistic model and diorama of it.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: skip_8933@yahoo. com
      Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:28:36 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] High Bridge

      I am now working on the second level of my new layout and "High Bridge"
      will be one of the features. I would like to get some information on
      this bridge and more pictures than are on the internet if anyone has
      them. Foe instance how long is the bridge? A company has just came
      out with a beautiful (and costly) bridge that looks good, but I dont
      know whether it will look right. It has walkways on both sides of the
      track. What do you think of this bridge for the High Bridge? It is
      150' long.

      http://www.blmamode ls.com/images/ store/5000- 1.jpg

      Skip

      Peek-a-boo FREE Tricks Treats for You! Get 'em!

    • Skip Barber
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
        Paul,

        That's what I needed,  Thanks

        Skip

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: skip_8933@...
        Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:28:36 +0000

        I am now working on the second level of my new layout and "High Bridge"
        will be one of the features. I would like to get some information on
        this bridge and more pictures than are on the internet if anyone has
        them. Foe instance how long is the bridge? A company has just came
        out with a beautiful (and costly) bridge that looks good, but I dont
        know whether it will look right. It has walkways on both sides of the
        track. What do you think of this bridge for the High Bridge? It is
        150' long.

        http://www.blmamode ls.com/images/ store/5000- 1.jpg

        Skip

        Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

      • Skip Barber
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
          Aaron,

          Paul says it is 104 feet.  That should be close enough for me. That makes it about 8 inches in N scale.

          Paul,

          As usual, I didn't get your reply.  I'm going to try to find out why.

          Skip

          Aaron Keller <akeller1979@...> wrote:
          I'd say that bridge is closer to 90 or maybe 100 feet long.  An RS-3 is only 56 feet long and I don't think you could fit four of them on High Bridge.

          -Aaron

          Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
          Hi Skip... if you get this,

          High Bridge still stands and if I'm not mistaken is 200 feet long.

          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
            Hi Skip and All,

            I've always gone by the photo in MR showing 21 hauling a Ma & Pa 40
            boxcar over the bridge, the front of the unit is still over the creek,
            not quite to the road and the boxcar appears to be just clear of the
            abutment on the south end. The bridge itself appears to be a little
            higher then the S-2, maybe 16 feet. The bridge can be divided into 8
            equal segments (the "M" shapes being two segments). This would work out
            to a spacing of 13 feet per segment, plus an extra foot to finish the
            two ends. Thirteen feet is a little puzzling as engineers in those days
            would commonly space things 8, 10, 12, or 16 feet apart.

            When you are drawing a route for MSTS you have to download a program
            that take US Geological Survey maps and satellite shots of the area
            you're interested in and allows you to place markers on the map that you
            later bring into MSTS to show you where your rail line goes, or rivers,
            roads, tree lines, whatever you need to work on at the time. I placed a
            marker at each end of High Bridge and when was placing track, the two
            markers were 200 feet apart... seamed reasonable at the time.

            If Steve Lamora's out there could you shed some light on this as I
            obviously will need to draw High Bridge again and would like to get it
            right this time!

            Paul :-)