RE: [FJGRailroad] High Bridge

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
      If I am not mistaken there is a photo in Ginos railpage of the deck of the bridge.

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: skip_8933@...
      Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:28:36 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] High Bridge

      I am now working on the second level of my new layout and "High Bridge"
      will be one of the features. I would like to get some information on
      this bridge and more pictures than are on the internet if anyone has
      them. Foe instance how long is the bridge? A company has just came
      out with a beautiful (and costly) bridge that looks good, but I dont
      know whether it will look right. It has walkways on both sides of the
      track. What do you think of this bridge for the High Bridge? It is
      150' long.

      http://www.blmamode ls.com/images/ store/5000- 1.jpg

      Skip

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
        I'd say that bridge is closer to 90 or maybe 100 feet long.  An RS-3 is only 56 feet long and I don't think you could fit four of them on High Bridge.

        -Aaron

        Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
        Hi Skip... if you get this,

        High Bridge still stands and if I'm not mistaken is 200 feet long.
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
          Skip, 108 feet long and 40 feet above the creek.  Contact Steve Lamora in this group who made exceptionally realistic model and diorama of it.

          PKL

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
            Why did I write 108?  It is 104 feet long sorry but I trust you haven't completed it since I gave you an incorrect number.

            PKL

            To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: pklarner@...
            Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 00:52:31 -0400
            Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] High Bridge

            To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
            From: skip_8933@yahoo. com
            Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:28:36 +0000

            I am now working on the second level of my new layout and "High Bridge"
            will be one of the features. I would like to get some information on
            this bridge and more pictures than are on the internet if anyone has
            them. Foe instance how long is the bridge? A company has just came
            out with a beautiful (and costly) bridge that looks good, but I dont
            know whether it will look right. It has walkways on both sides of the
            track. What do you think of this bridge for the High Bridge? It is
            150' long.

            http://www.blmamode ls.com/images/ store/5000- 1.jpg

            Skip

            Peek-a-boo FREE Tricks Treats for You! Get 'em!

          • Skip Barber
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
              Paul,

              That's what I needed,  Thanks

              Skip

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: skip_8933@...
              Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:28:36 +0000

              I am now working on the second level of my new layout and "High Bridge"
              will be one of the features. I would like to get some information on
              this bridge and more pictures than are on the internet if anyone has
              them. Foe instance how long is the bridge? A company has just came
              out with a beautiful (and costly) bridge that looks good, but I dont
              know whether it will look right. It has walkways on both sides of the
              track. What do you think of this bridge for the High Bridge? It is
              150' long.

              http://www.blmamode ls.com/images/ store/5000- 1.jpg

              Skip

              Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

            • Skip Barber
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                Aaron,

                Paul says it is 104 feet.  That should be close enough for me. That makes it about 8 inches in N scale.

                Paul,

                As usual, I didn't get your reply.  I'm going to try to find out why.

                Skip

                Aaron Keller <akeller1979@...> wrote:
                I'd say that bridge is closer to 90 or maybe 100 feet long.  An RS-3 is only 56 feet long and I don't think you could fit four of them on High Bridge.

                -Aaron

                Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
                Hi Skip... if you get this,

                High Bridge still stands and if I'm not mistaken is 200 feet long.

                Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Hi Skip and All,

                  I've always gone by the photo in MR showing 21 hauling a Ma & Pa 40
                  boxcar over the bridge, the front of the unit is still over the creek,
                  not quite to the road and the boxcar appears to be just clear of the
                  abutment on the south end. The bridge itself appears to be a little
                  higher then the S-2, maybe 16 feet. The bridge can be divided into 8
                  equal segments (the "M" shapes being two segments). This would work out
                  to a spacing of 13 feet per segment, plus an extra foot to finish the
                  two ends. Thirteen feet is a little puzzling as engineers in those days
                  would commonly space things 8, 10, 12, or 16 feet apart.

                  When you are drawing a route for MSTS you have to download a program
                  that take US Geological Survey maps and satellite shots of the area
                  you're interested in and allows you to place markers on the map that you
                  later bring into MSTS to show you where your rail line goes, or rivers,
                  roads, tree lines, whatever you need to work on at the time. I placed a
                  marker at each end of High Bridge and when was placing track, the two
                  markers were 200 feet apart... seamed reasonable at the time.

                  If Steve Lamora's out there could you shed some light on this as I
                  obviously will need to draw High Bridge again and would like to get it
                  right this time!

                  Paul :-)