High Bridge

  • Skip
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
      I am now working on the second level of my new layout and "High Bridge"
      will be one of the features. I would like to get some information on
      this bridge and more pictures than are on the internet if anyone has
      them. Foe instance how long is the bridge? A company has just came
      out with a beautiful (and costly) bridge that looks good, but I dont
      know whether it will look right. It has walkways on both sides of the
      track. What do you think of this bridge for the High Bridge? It is
      150' long.

      http://www.blmamodels.com/images/store/5000-1.jpg

      Skip
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
        Skip,

        Steve Lamora built a perfect High-Bridge.  He can tell you all you need to create one!

        Gino

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
          Hi Skip... if you get this,

          High Bridge still stands and if I'm not mistaken is 200 feet long. A
          year or so ago I sent you a half dozen or so files, have a look for a
          file called "FJ&G Page 5.jpg" as there is a diagram of the bridge. It's
          an inverted Warren Deck truss bridge, the rails are on the top of the
          bridge and not through the bridge as would be "normal"... what's normal
          anymore! The very ends of the bridge are supported by the abutments,
          but not the first sections inward that are on an angle.

          The article states the bridge to be 106 feet long but the opening photo
          of Harold Russell's 1977 MR article clearly shows an S-2 on the bridge
          that is no where near 50% of the bridge's length but closer to 20%.

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
            If I am not mistaken there is a photo in Ginos railpage of the deck of the bridge.

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
              I'd say that bridge is closer to 90 or maybe 100 feet long.  An RS-3 is only 56 feet long and I don't think you could fit four of them on High Bridge.

              -Aaron

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                Skip, 108 feet long and 40 feet above the creek.  Contact Steve Lamora in this group who made exceptionally realistic model and diorama of it.

                PKL

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                  Why did I write 108?  It is 104 feet long sorry but I trust you haven't completed it since I gave you an incorrect number.

                  PKL

                  To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: pklarner@...
                  Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 00:52:31 -0400
                  Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] High Bridge

                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                  From: skip_8933@yahoo. com
                  Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:28:36 +0000

                  I am now working on the second level of my new layout and "High Bridge"
                  will be one of the features. I would like to get some information on
                  this bridge and more pictures than are on the internet if anyone has
                  them. Foe instance how long is the bridge? A company has just came
                  out with a beautiful (and costly) bridge that looks good, but I dont
                  know whether it will look right. It has walkways on both sides of the
                  track. What do you think of this bridge for the High Bridge? It is
                  150' long.

                  http://www.blmamode ls.com/images/ store/5000- 1.jpg

                  Skip

                  Peek-a-boo FREE Tricks Treats for You! Get 'em!

                • Skip Barber
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                    Paul,

                    That's what I needed,  Thanks

                    Skip

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    From: skip_8933@...
                    Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:28:36 +0000

                    I am now working on the second level of my new layout and "High Bridge"
                    will be one of the features. I would like to get some information on
                    this bridge and more pictures than are on the internet if anyone has
                    them. Foe instance how long is the bridge? A company has just came
                    out with a beautiful (and costly) bridge that looks good, but I dont
                    know whether it will look right. It has walkways on both sides of the
                    track. What do you think of this bridge for the High Bridge? It is
                    150' long.

                    http://www.blmamode ls.com/images/ store/5000- 1.jpg

                    Skip

                    Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

                  • Skip Barber
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                      Aaron,

                      Paul says it is 104 feet.  That should be close enough for me. That makes it about 8 inches in N scale.

                      Paul,

                      As usual, I didn't get your reply.  I'm going to try to find out why.

                      Skip

                      Aaron Keller <akeller1979@...> wrote:
                      I'd say that bridge is closer to 90 or maybe 100 feet long.  An RS-3 is only 56 feet long and I don't think you could fit four of them on High Bridge.

                      -Aaron

                      Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
                      Hi Skip... if you get this,

                      High Bridge still stands and if I'm not mistaken is 200 feet long.

                      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                        Hi Skip and All,

                        I've always gone by the photo in MR showing 21 hauling a Ma & Pa 40
                        boxcar over the bridge, the front of the unit is still over the creek,
                        not quite to the road and the boxcar appears to be just clear of the
                        abutment on the south end. The bridge itself appears to be a little
                        higher then the S-2, maybe 16 feet. The bridge can be divided into 8
                        equal segments (the "M" shapes being two segments). This would work out
                        to a spacing of 13 feet per segment, plus an extra foot to finish the
                        two ends. Thirteen feet is a little puzzling as engineers in those days
                        would commonly space things 8, 10, 12, or 16 feet apart.

                        When you are drawing a route for MSTS you have to download a program
                        that take US Geological Survey maps and satellite shots of the area
                        you're interested in and allows you to place markers on the map that you
                        later bring into MSTS to show you where your rail line goes, or rivers,
                        roads, tree lines, whatever you need to work on at the time. I placed a
                        marker at each end of High Bridge and when was placing track, the two
                        markers were 200 feet apart... seamed reasonable at the time.

                        If Steve Lamora's out there could you shed some light on this as I
                        obviously will need to draw High Bridge again and would like to get it
                        right this time!

                        Paul :-)