Re: [FJGRailroad] Johnstown Building Question

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2007
      Hi Sheila,

      I thought your reply was directed at me and not Andy. Johnstown
      Knitting Mill, nice roof line, might be worth the effort to include.

      The back two third of the building appear to be a sculptured cinder
      block (raised ridge as opposed to being flat) with the last 48ish feet
      being only about five feet high with a gable foot on it. Any idea what
      this would be, it had an odd brick chimney that had a tall metal pipe
      extension.

      Thanks very much.

      Paul :-)

    • SheilaDanylak@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2007
        Paul,
               What you describe was the actual mill. Its  roof looks like it has two church steeples and almost the appearance of a church.
         I just drove by to see  and a caretaker was there watering flowers. He said it was always the knitting mill since the 1880s and that the flat roof portion was the store and office area and the other part which is attached was the knitting mill. The steeples and the very unique chimney are still there. Would a digital photo of the building currently help you? My remembrance of the 1970s and now it doesn't seem anything has changed.          Sheila

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2007
          Hi Sheila,

          Any photo(s) would be much appreciated, I've only seen the steeples and
          roof line in the background sticking up over the trees and what I can
          see from the Google Earth shot. I know it wasn't served but it's
          distinctive enough people who know the area would miss it if it wasn't
          included.

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
            Hello Paul,
                             We were away for the weekend . I am still trying to learn how to use this new digital camera I recently purchased  and feed it into the computer. I have asked a digital savy friend to come by and help . Hopefully that will be sometime this week   . Will send photos as soon as I learn it .
                                                                                  Sheila

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
              Hi Sheila,

              Thanks for going to the trouble. I was lucky, my brother-in-law brought
              his camera by and showed my how easy it was to use and it only take a
              fire wire and software to transfer the shots into the computer. He had
              the nerve to take his home so I went and bought the same model!

              Paul :-)