Johnstown Building Question

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2007
      Hi All,

      I'm drawing the building across the tracks from the former station in
      Johnstown. This would be south west of the crossing on State Street. I
      can draw from what I see in photos but I have no idea what I'm drawing!
      The street side of the building appears to be a story front or maybe a
      restaurant/hotel but the back of the building make me think of a small
      brewery or something. Any idea what it would have been back in the late
      '50s?

      Paul :-)
    • SheilaDanylak@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2007
        Hi Paul,
                   I  Believe the earlier response should have been directed at you not Andy ooops sorry.
         I  read it quickly.
        A quick guess about where your wondering about . Thinking I remember where  the station was there near the Cayadutta Creek (I was born in 1962)  that would have been a hotel called "The American Hotel " which remained open until the late 1980s and was torn down in the last 20 years. There was definitely a tavern attached and it was on the South side of the building and it had a very large long front porch.  I think I remember it as being red and black shingled if that is not correct it would be red brick.  I grew up in that vicinity of town and was always riding my bike  and have memories of the last days of the FJ&G going through town, seemingly most with leather skins on them.  Hope this might help .
                                                                           Sheila Danylak for Phillip

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2007
          Hi Sheila,

          I thought your reply was directed at me and not Andy. Johnstown
          Knitting Mill, nice roof line, might be worth the effort to include.

          The back two third of the building appear to be a sculptured cinder
          block (raised ridge as opposed to being flat) with the last 48ish feet
          being only about five feet high with a gable foot on it. Any idea what
          this would be, it had an odd brick chimney that had a tall metal pipe
          extension.

          Thanks very much.

          Paul :-)

        • SheilaDanylak@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2007
            Paul,
                   What you describe was the actual mill. Its  roof looks like it has two church steeples and almost the appearance of a church.
             I just drove by to see  and a caretaker was there watering flowers. He said it was always the knitting mill since the 1880s and that the flat roof portion was the store and office area and the other part which is attached was the knitting mill. The steeples and the very unique chimney are still there. Would a digital photo of the building currently help you? My remembrance of the 1970s and now it doesn't seem anything has changed.          Sheila

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2007
              Hi Sheila,

              Any photo(s) would be much appreciated, I've only seen the steeples and
              roof line in the background sticking up over the trees and what I can
              see from the Google Earth shot. I know it wasn't served but it's
              distinctive enough people who know the area would miss it if it wasn't
              included.

              Paul :-)

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
                Hello Paul,
                                 We were away for the weekend . I am still trying to learn how to use this new digital camera I recently purchased  and feed it into the computer. I have asked a digital savy friend to come by and help . Hopefully that will be sometime this week   . Will send photos as soon as I learn it .
                                                                                      Sheila

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
                  Hi Sheila,

                  Thanks for going to the trouble. I was lucky, my brother-in-law brought
                  his camera by and showed my how easy it was to use and it only take a
                  fire wire and software to transfer the shots into the computer. He had
                  the nerve to take his home so I went and bought the same model!

                  Paul :-)