Re: Mile Posts

  • andrewsfusco
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 5, 2007
      Paul: Sorry its taken awhile to respond.

      I see now that the Commons Road whistle signal is gone.
      There are a couple of "stumps" of whistle signal uprights
      left and they are round posts about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

      Regarding the no trespassing signs Aaron referred to, there are
      at least two left (one just north of the Rail Park in G-ville and one
      near Carville Leather in J-town. The sign posts for both are
      railroad track rails. ---Andy Fusco

      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

      > Hi Andy and All,
      >
      > Was the whistle post you saw a round post, with a notch carved out near
      > the top and the top rounded off? I saw one of these in a photo south of
      > Broadalbin and also the back of one about mileage 1 but couldn't figure
      > out why seeing as there was no crossing and it was too far south to be
      > for High Bridge. Could be a mile post but it definitely has a round top.
      >
      > Paul :-)
      >

      > andrewsfusco wrote:
      > > I rode my bike on the Rail Trail from Dennie's Corner to the Walmart Distribution
      Center
      > > south of Johnstown last week. The only two mile posts I saw were 12 and 11, both
      north
      > > of Gloversville. 12 is in excellent condition. 11 is crumbling badly and needs
      restoration
      > > or won't last long.
      > >
      > > Last time I drove Commons Road, the whistle post was still there (that's the one with
      the
      > > bullet holes we saw the picture of at the Get Together.
      > >
      > > It would be interesting to know what's left in the brush north of Dennie's. ---Andy
      Fusco

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 5, 2007
        Andy,

        I'm pretty sure the "No Tresspass" signs you refer to are gone.

        The only one left that I am aware of is hidden in the woods in Johnstown, far from any current road.  I don't believe it's readable anymore.

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
          Hi Aaron,

          I'm shooting for 1958 or '59 so these signs would still be all over the
          place.

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
            Hi Andy,

            Carville Leather, where abouts would that be? I see on Google Earth and
            in the background of one of a shots Gino sent of the West Montgomery
            railroad crossing there is what appears to be a nice brick mill in the
            block just north west of the crossing. Wasn't served by rail but any
            idea what it was? I'm tempted to draw what I can of it as the roof line
            sticks up above the trees.

            Paul :-)

          • SheilaDanylak@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
              Andy,
              Carville leather is the old Knox Gelatine Plant off of Chestnut St which runs south/west  to State  Rt 30 A very near to the Industrial Park or if going east  becomes Madison Ave  .
              There is a large brick building to the northwest of that on W. Montgomery St that used to be the Johnstown Knitting Mill . I believe that closed in the early to mid 1990's .I have not gone by there recently to know if something else has gone in there it was for sale .
                                                                                        Phil Danylak