Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Mile Posts

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 30, 2007
      There were still a number of Paul Larner's red flanger boards standing until a few years ago.  Too bad they all got bulldozed when the rail trail went in.

      DO installed a few more smaller and odd-shaped ones; I believe the ones at Rte. 349 (east crossing) and the one at the Commons Road were DO inventions.  I have photos of the one on the commons road.

      The last ones standing were in the Hill Street area.  They got knocked down for the rail trail.

      Dave Nestle told me at one point that the old wooden flanger boards were taken down in the spring and re-installed in the fall.  Seems like a lot of manpower; but this may have been back in the 20s when labour was cheap and snowbanks were high enough to just stick them into the snow.

      -Aaron
    • andrewsfusco
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 5 4:52 AM
        Paul: Sorry its taken awhile to respond.

        I see now that the Commons Road whistle signal is gone.
        There are a couple of "stumps" of whistle signal uprights
        left and they are round posts about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

        Regarding the no trespassing signs Aaron referred to, there are
        at least two left (one just north of the Rail Park in G-ville and one
        near Carville Leather in J-town. The sign posts for both are
        railroad track rails. ---Andy Fusco

        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

        > Hi Andy and All,
        >
        > Was the whistle post you saw a round post, with a notch carved out near
        > the top and the top rounded off? I saw one of these in a photo south of
        > Broadalbin and also the back of one about mileage 1 but couldn't figure
        > out why seeing as there was no crossing and it was too far south to be
        > for High Bridge. Could be a mile post but it definitely has a round top.
        >
        > Paul :-)
        >

        > andrewsfusco wrote:
        > > I rode my bike on the Rail Trail from Dennie's Corner to the Walmart Distribution
        Center
        > > south of Johnstown last week. The only two mile posts I saw were 12 and 11, both
        north
        > > of Gloversville. 12 is in excellent condition. 11 is crumbling badly and needs
        restoration
        > > or won't last long.
        > >
        > > Last time I drove Commons Road, the whistle post was still there (that's the one with
        the
        > > bullet holes we saw the picture of at the Get Together.
        > >
        > > It would be interesting to know what's left in the brush north of Dennie's. ---Andy
        Fusco

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 5 5:42 PM
          Andy,

          I'm pretty sure the "No Tresspass" signs you refer to are gone.

          The only one left that I am aware of is hidden in the woods in Johnstown, far from any current road.  I don't believe it's readable anymore.

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 6 8:17 AM
            Hi Aaron,

            I'm shooting for 1958 or '59 so these signs would still be all over the
            place.

            Paul :-)

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 6 8:23 AM
              Hi Andy,

              Carville Leather, where abouts would that be? I see on Google Earth and
              in the background of one of a shots Gino sent of the West Montgomery
              railroad crossing there is what appears to be a nice brick mill in the
              block just north west of the crossing. Wasn't served by rail but any
              idea what it was? I'm tempted to draw what I can of it as the roof line
              sticks up above the trees.

              Paul :-)

            • SheilaDanylak@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 6 9:28 AM
                Andy,
                Carville leather is the old Knox Gelatine Plant off of Chestnut St which runs south/west  to State  Rt 30 A very near to the Industrial Park or if going east  becomes Madison Ave  .
                There is a large brick building to the northwest of that on W. Montgomery St that used to be the Johnstown Knitting Mill . I believe that closed in the early to mid 1990's .I have not gone by there recently to know if something else has gone in there it was for sale .
                                                                                          Phil Danylak