Fonda Electric Light

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19 6:46 AM
      Hi All,

      Starting to work my way up Cayadutta Creek in Fonda and was wondering if
      the Electric Light building at the dam in Fonda lasted into the 50's or
      not. Google Earth shot shows some pretty mature looking trees where the
      plant would have been and a plowed field.

      There was also a brick building just north of two smaller "out
      buildings" just north of the switch that lead to the Fulton County Coal
      Co. at Route 5. Google Earth still shows the remains of the building,
      appears to have been 50' x 100', single story, brick with concrete trim.
      Any idea what this was?

      Thanks for the help,

      Paul :-)
    • Malcolm Horton
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19 9:27 PM
        Hi All,

        My reference source states that here was a 100 Kw hydroelectric plant on the Cayadutta Creek at Berryville, having a head of 25 feet which existed between 1910 and 1926. I recall hearing an anecdote, from a man who worked there, that it supplied power for electric arc lights in Fonda and operated in the early evenings only. One night, a field coil in the generator failed. They phoned GE in Schenectady and a replacement coil arrived the next day on a 4:00 PM train. It was installed quickly and the lights came on that evening.

        I also found records that a hydroelectric plant existed on the Cayadutta at Sammonsville (there is a road heading east, along the north side of the creek just south of the Wemple and Edick ice cream store, named Powerhouse Road). This was named "The Cayadutta Falls Hydro Plant". It was rated 300 Kw and had a head of 64 feet. It operated between 1887 and 1933.

        The Inghams Mills Hydroelectric plant on the East Canada Creek is rated 6,400 Kw, has a head of 115 feet and was built in 1912. It is still in operation. It contained a frequency changing motor-generator set to convert 60 Hz power to 25 Hz to sell to the FJ&G trolley system. A high voltage transmission line was built from Inghams Mills to Tribes Hill, thereby allowing the FJ&G steam plant to be operated as a standby power source for the trolley line.

        Malcolm Horton

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22 4:47 AM
          Hi Malcolm,

          Thanks for the information.

          Would have gotten back to you sooner but I just got this this morning!
          My ISP has switched our e-mail accounts to Hotmail accounts without our
          permission and I didn't think everything was working properly. Took
          three hours for my original post to make it to Yahoo.

          Paul :-)

          Malcolm Horton wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > My reference source states that here was a 100 Kw hydroelectric plant
          > on the Cayadutta Creek at Berryville, having a head of 25 feet which
          > existed between 1910 and 1926. I recall hearing an anecdote, from a
          > man who worked there, that it supplied power for electric arc lights
          > in Fonda and operated in the early evenings only. One night, a field
          > coil in the generator failed. They phoned GE in Schenectady and a
          > replacement coil arrived the next day on a 4:00 PM train. It was
          > installed quickly and the lights came on that evening.
          >
          > I also found records that a hydroelectric plant existed on the
          > Cayadutta at Sammonsville (there is a road heading east, along the
          > north side of the creek just south of the Wemple and Edick ice cream
          > store, named Powerhouse Road). This was named "The Cayadutta Falls
          > Hydro Plant". It was rated 300 Kw and had a head of 64 feet. It
          > operated between 1887 and 1933.
          >
          > The Inghams Mills Hydroelectric plant on the East Canada Creek is
          > rated 6,400 Kw, has a head of 115 feet and was built in 1912. It is
          > still in operation. It contained a frequency changing motor-generator
          > set to convert 60 Hz power to 25 Hz to sell to the FJ&G trolley
          > system. A high voltage transmission line was built from Inghams Mills
          > to Tribes Hill, thereby allowing the FJ&G steam plant to be operated
          > as a standby power source for the trolley line.
          >
          > Malcolm Horton
        • Gerald Snyder
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
            Bob Cudmore's column in today's Schenectady Gazette
            (Montgomery/Fulton/Schoharie edition) was about the
            1950 railfan trip on the FJ&G. A copy is attached.
            Jerry

            http://farechase.yahoo.com/