Get-together

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 27, 2007
      I'm officially coming.

      I have slides to bring --- probably with a stack loader.

      Did I hear someone say they were bringing a Kodak Carousel projector?

      Anything anybody specifically wants to see?

      -Aaron
    • Malcolm Horton
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 27, 2007
        Aaron,

        I am bringing a Kodak Carousel projector but I don't have a stack loader.

        Mal Horton

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 27, 2007
          Thanks Mal, I've got a stack loader. I'll bring it. Anybody else who has
          slides is welcome to use it.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 27, 2007
            I have a carousel I will bring and also I believe malcolm Horton will have one.  SHow whatever you think the guys and gals will like to see.  The afternoon is filling up which is a relief for me.

            Had a hard time opening the warrensburgh item???

            Paul

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: akeller1979@...
            Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:13:33 -0500

            I'm officially coming.

            I have slides to bring --- probably with a stack loader.

            Did I hear someone say they were bringing a Kodak Carousel projector?

            Anything anybody specifically wants to see?

            -Aaron

            Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! Find it!
          • Robert Schoneman
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 28, 2007
              Stack loader?

              I dunno. I have 5 FJ&G slides to bring. Maybe a carousel?

              Shoot, I know some great Walleye and smallmouth bass spots over the FJG station and yard tracks; just south of the Northville bridge, on the Sacandaga flats. We could take up the whole day swimming and fishing......:-)  When the lake is real low in fall and winter, you can still see some foundations and outlines.

              Does one know if we will be able to get to the restored Northville Station. I wanted to do that in years past, but couldn't get there. FWIW, have a FJ&G 200 car  print donated there.

              Aaron and I will be flying in from WI. Not a record traveled to get to this gig, but not around the block either! Will be spending  6 days up there.

              Bob Schoneman
              Appleton, WI

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 28, 2007
                  Hello Bob,

                  We attended the dedication of the station as a group a couple years back; the owner did a nice job, real nice.  It is a fair bet he will be at this year's event.  I haven't communicated with him in a while but he may be aware of it through the advertising, and pay us a visit.

                  One of the more interesting stops for lunch as been the Sport Island Pub.  The place is well decorated with photos of the Park during its heydays.  Lunch at the Pub is greatly enhanced by hot sunny days.  Doubt there will be time to go that far for lunch this year.

                  Paul

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: suds@...
                  Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:16:08 -0700
                  Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Get-together

                  Stack loader?

                  I dunno. I have 5 FJ&G slides to bring. Maybe a carousel?

                  Shoot, I know some great Walleye and smallmouth bass spots over the FJG station and yard tracks; just south of the Northville bridge, on the Sacandaga flats. We could take up the whole day swimming and fishing..... .:-)  When the lake is real low in fall and winter, you can still see some foundations and outlines.

                  Does one know if we will be able to get to the restored Northville Station. I wanted to do that in years past, but couldn't get there. FWIW, have a FJ&G 200 car  print donated there.

                  Aaron and I will be flying in from WI. Not a record traveled to get to this gig, but not around the block either! Will be spending  6 days up there.

                  Bob Schoneman
                  Appleton, WI

                  Don't get caught with egg on your face.    Play Chicktionary!
                • Robert Schoneman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 29, 2007
                    One of the more interesting stops for lunch as been the Sport Island Pub.

                    A guess, but I believe this was the old Tamarack Bar, on the lake in Sacandaga Park. Across the street from Miniature Golf, etc. My parents residences were about three miles south of there on the lake, 3/4 of the way up to the state campsite on Houseman St.

                    I believe Rt 30 was the old FJ&G ROW to Northville.

                    It would be nice to see the station, with or without the group. I will have time. I think I will write the proprietor.

                    Bob Schoneman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 29, 2007
                      Sport Island Pub is new construction.  Built in the late 90s or around 2000.

                      Route 30 only touches the old right of way for a brief while.  The satellite images make it pretty clear where the right of way was.

                      An interesting trick is matching the old right of way maps with satellite photos.  The Mountain Lake right of way is very easy to find when one looks at satellite images.  So is the FJ&G from Broadalbin Jct. to Mayfield; from Mayfield up to where it pops out of what is now the reservoir, and on from there.

                      The only thing that is hard to find on satellite images is the old feldspar mine in the Mayfield hills.  I can find practically no trace of it.

                      Most of the other old roads are easy to pick out.

                      -Aaron

                      Robert Schoneman <suds@...> wrote:
                      One of the more interesting stops for lunch as been the Sport Island Pub.

                      A guess, but I believe this was the old Tamarack Bar, on the lake in Sacandaga Park. Across the street from Miniature Golf, etc. My parents residences were about three miles south of there on the lake, 3/4 of the way up to the state campsite on Houseman St.

                      I believe Rt 30 was the old FJ&G ROW to Northville.

                      It would be nice to see the station, with or without the group. I will have time. I think I will write the proprietor.

                      Bob Schoneman

                    • peter sefton
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 29, 2007

                        The Tamarack is now Vic’s Tavern

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 29, 2007
                          Bob, you can get all the information on the station by going to google and searching "Sacandaga Station or Sacandaga Park.  Willem Monster, who owns the property, has put up an interesting web site about the railroad, the station, park and his goals.  I believe he also has contact information there.  He is friendly to those of us interested in his work.

                          PKL

                          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                          From: suds@...
                          Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:31:53 -0700

                          One of the more interesting stops for lunch as been the Sport Island Pub.

                          A guess, but I believe this was the old Tamarack Bar, on the lake in Sacandaga Park. Across the street from Miniature Golf, etc. My parents residences were about three miles south of there on the lake, 3/4 of the way up to the state campsite on Houseman St.

                          I believe Rt 30 was the old FJ&G ROW to Northville.

                          It would be nice to see the station, with or without the group. I will have time. I think I will write the proprietor.

                          Bob Schoneman

                          Missed the show?  Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN. See them now!
                        • Robert Schoneman
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 30, 2007
                            Ah yes, I see we have changes. It will be a interesting trip.  Been 10 years since I was up there. Thanks all for your updates and links.

                            Bob Schoneman
                            Appleton, WI