Re: [FJGRailroad] RE: [FJGRailroad Get Together]

  • SheilaDanylak@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 10, 2007
      The phone number for The Palantine Motel is 518-673-1050 on State Route 5 in Palantine Bridge NY

      The owners name is Jerry and I found him to be  very nice and accomodating.

      It also  has a picnic area on the premises and walking distance to a shopping plaza with a grocery store, and take out food.
      There is also a diner across the way that I understand serves a very good breakfast

      Best of all trainwatching can be done from the backyard .

      Hope this is helpful for you.
                                                                                Sheila Danylak

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • Richard Finn
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 10, 2007
        Hello Skip,

        A couple of weeks ago I was able to get a room at the Super 8 Motel right at the Amsterdam exit of the Thruway, through Travelocity.  It isn't the quietest place, but it is a convenient location.  There were also a couple of other one half star motels with higher rates in Amsterdam proper.

        As a last resort, there is the trucker's motel in Fultonville.

        Dick Finn

        Being a Congressman or Senator means that you never have to say you are sorry for the harm that you do to the USA.

        On Jul 9, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Skip Barber wrote:

        Paul and the group,

        If anyone can tell me where I can get a motel for the nights on Aug 10 and 11 in Fonda, Johnstown or Gloversville, I can  be there.  I have tried several motels and they are all booked up on the night of Aug. 11.  Is something else going on or is this affair that popular?

        Skip

        Paul Larner <pklarner@hotmail. com> wrote:
        Hello All in the Group,

        The Gathering will commence between 9:00 and 9:30 a.m. on the 11th of August at the Fulton County Museum on Kingsboro Avenue.  With more discussion with you to follow the present plan is to open to the public and start a program of photos of the FJ&G industries and customers.  I'm sure ther will be plenty of discussion as the photos of sights long passed evoke memories.  This ought to be able to last until noon when we can break for lunch and some sight seeing as the weather dictates.

        Maybe 2:00 p.m. we can start a second series of discussions, one on the history of the railroad.  If I do that one it will surely be too long.  Any volunteers?  Second, if any one has something they would like to show: slides etc. taken over the years this would be great. Slide shows always generate interest.

        Now about show and tell:  take pictures of your collections of FJ&G artifacts, let us know what has been preserved.  Recount your stories that make the FJ&G close to the railroad part of your heart.

        DInner is at 6:00; reservations have een made for 25 at this time.  It is helpful that you confirm to me your intentions to share a meal with us.  Since we are a large group in a small venue it is good to have a close idea how much space we will need.

        I have been presented with other ideas which when confirmed will be made known.

        Looking forward to fine weather and companionship on the 11th.  Wish we could do a steam excursion Fonda to Broadalbin - we may be doing it in photos and film, maybe at this point in time.

        PKL

        Hotmail to go? Get your Hotmail, news, sports and much more! Check out the New MSN Mobile

        Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.

      • Gerald Snyder
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2007
          Skip,
          Here's a link that will get you to the listings for
          the Super 8 and Best Value motels in Amsterdam. As
          noted, the Super 8 is right near the Thruway exit.
          The Best Value is located downtown, but it's in a
          relatively nice area by itself and seems decent from
          what I've seen of it. It just changed from a Best
          Western, and was originally a Holiday Inn.
          Jerry

          http://hotel-guides.us/new-york/amsterdam-ny-hotels.html

          that gives answers, not web links.
        • Skip Barber

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 12, 2007
              Skip,
                        You are welcome. I am so glad that worked out for you. I do believe you will be pleased.
               Philip also reminded me that not only can you watch the trains from the hotel but the drive west on route 5 which runs right along the tracks you are certain to take in some awesome views of the locomotives rounding the bends.
              We are hopeful to join the group at the museum in the morning but not sure about lunch and definitely not dinner. Phillip is scheduled for hip replacement surgery the first week of September and has to limit time spent on his feet. Mornings are best for him so we do hope to enjoy the early morning presentations.

              We are  not sure we recall who you are so please do come and introduce yourself to us. Did you attend the memorial service for Walt at the family home on State Street in Gloversville? We got out those photos last night to see if we could figure who you are perhaps we will bring that photo album with us.
              Looking forward to a wonderful time on the 11th and so glad you could get accommodations and come.
              Where are you traveling from?     Sheila Danylak

              Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL.com.