Get-together

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 18, 2007
      Gee, if this many people are coming, maybe I better show up too?

      If I'm able to come, it'll be a total last-minute thing.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 18, 2007
        Aaron, let me know as soon as you book your flight so I can ensure you have reservations for dinner.  It looks like we could take up the entire patio.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: akeller1979@...
        Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:52:23 -0500
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Get-together

        Gee, if this many people are coming, maybe I better show up too?

        If I'm able to come, it'll be a total last-minute thing.

        -Aaron

        Change is good. See what's different about Windows Live Hotmail. Check it out!
      • Robert Schoneman
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 19, 2007
          Aaron, Paul, and Group.

          I am in the same position as Aaron. Last minute situation in coming. However, please place me in for a reservation for dinner, I will cover cost regardless if I get there or not. I will stumble and bumble to get a reservation, flights and hotel room in Northville.

          Please readvise me with the dates for this monumental event. Down the road, a itinerary would be nice; as Amsterdam, FJ&G, Northville, Saratoga Springs, and Capital district will be in my itinerary on places to stop.

          Regards,

          Bob Schoneman
          Appleton, WI
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 19, 2007
            Good morning Bob,

            The date is the 11th of August.  It is a one day affair.  This year the theme will be the customers of the FJ&G.  A meeting place has not yet been found though I am not without options.  I expect to have electricity so bring anything you may want to present to the group.  When the show time reaches its limit a tour usually commences.  This year we have the bike path for a walking tour of Gloversville's customers or we can take off in our automobiles as in the past to visit selected sites.

            The get together will occur and the location will be announced as soon as I can secure it.  Dinner is at the RailYard restaurant at 6:00 p.m.

            It will be great to have you on board.

            Paul

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: suds@...
            Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 04:31:26 -0700
            Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Get-together

            Aaron, Paul, and Group.

            I am in the same position as Aaron. Last minute situation in coming. However, please place me in for a reservation for dinner, I will cover cost regardless if I get there or not. I will stumble and bumble to get a reservation, flights and hotel room in Northville.

            Please readvise me with the dates for this monumental event. Down the road, a itinerary would be nice; as Amsterdam, FJ&G, Northville, Saratoga Springs, and Capital district will be in my itinerary on places to stop.

            Regards,

            Bob Schoneman
            Appleton, WI

            Play free games, earn tickets, get cool prizes! Join Live Search Club.   Join Live Search Club!
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 27, 2007
              I'm officially coming.

              I have slides to bring --- probably with a stack loader.

              Did I hear someone say they were bringing a Kodak Carousel projector?

              Anything anybody specifically wants to see?

              -Aaron
            • Malcolm Horton
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 27, 2007
                Aaron,

                I am bringing a Kodak Carousel projector but I don't have a stack loader.

                Mal Horton

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 27, 2007
                  Thanks Mal, I've got a stack loader. I'll bring it. Anybody else who has
                  slides is welcome to use it.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 27, 2007
                    I have a carousel I will bring and also I believe malcolm Horton will have one.  SHow whatever you think the guys and gals will like to see.  The afternoon is filling up which is a relief for me.

                    Had a hard time opening the warrensburgh item???

                    Paul

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    From: akeller1979@...
                    Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:13:33 -0500

                    I'm officially coming.

                    I have slides to bring --- probably with a stack loader.

                    Did I hear someone say they were bringing a Kodak Carousel projector?

                    Anything anybody specifically wants to see?

                    -Aaron

                    Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! Find it!
                  • Robert Schoneman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 28, 2007
                      Stack loader?

                      I dunno. I have 5 FJ&G slides to bring. Maybe a carousel?

                      Shoot, I know some great Walleye and smallmouth bass spots over the FJG station and yard tracks; just south of the Northville bridge, on the Sacandaga flats. We could take up the whole day swimming and fishing......:-)  When the lake is real low in fall and winter, you can still see some foundations and outlines.

                      Does one know if we will be able to get to the restored Northville Station. I wanted to do that in years past, but couldn't get there. FWIW, have a FJ&G 200 car  print donated there.

                      Aaron and I will be flying in from WI. Not a record traveled to get to this gig, but not around the block either! Will be spending  6 days up there.

                      Bob Schoneman
                      Appleton, WI

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 28, 2007
                          Hello Bob,

                          We attended the dedication of the station as a group a couple years back; the owner did a nice job, real nice.  It is a fair bet he will be at this year's event.  I haven't communicated with him in a while but he may be aware of it through the advertising, and pay us a visit.

                          One of the more interesting stops for lunch as been the Sport Island Pub.  The place is well decorated with photos of the Park during its heydays.  Lunch at the Pub is greatly enhanced by hot sunny days.  Doubt there will be time to go that far for lunch this year.

                          Paul

                          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                          From: suds@...
                          Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:16:08 -0700

                          Stack loader?

                          I dunno. I have 5 FJ&G slides to bring. Maybe a carousel?

                          Shoot, I know some great Walleye and smallmouth bass spots over the FJG station and yard tracks; just south of the Northville bridge, on the Sacandaga flats. We could take up the whole day swimming and fishing..... .:-)  When the lake is real low in fall and winter, you can still see some foundations and outlines.

                          Does one know if we will be able to get to the restored Northville Station. I wanted to do that in years past, but couldn't get there. FWIW, have a FJ&G 200 car  print donated there.

                          Aaron and I will be flying in from WI. Not a record traveled to get to this gig, but not around the block either! Will be spending  6 days up there.

                          Bob Schoneman
                          Appleton, WI

                          Don't get caught with egg on your face.    Play Chicktionary!
                        • Robert Schoneman
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 29, 2007
                            One of the more interesting stops for lunch as been the Sport Island Pub.

                            A guess, but I believe this was the old Tamarack Bar, on the lake in Sacandaga Park. Across the street from Miniature Golf, etc. My parents residences were about three miles south of there on the lake, 3/4 of the way up to the state campsite on Houseman St.

                            I believe Rt 30 was the old FJ&G ROW to Northville.

                            It would be nice to see the station, with or without the group. I will have time. I think I will write the proprietor.

                            Bob Schoneman
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 29, 2007
                              Sport Island Pub is new construction.  Built in the late 90s or around 2000.

                              Route 30 only touches the old right of way for a brief while.  The satellite images make it pretty clear where the right of way was.

                              An interesting trick is matching the old right of way maps with satellite photos.  The Mountain Lake right of way is very easy to find when one looks at satellite images.  So is the FJ&G from Broadalbin Jct. to Mayfield; from Mayfield up to where it pops out of what is now the reservoir, and on from there.

                              The only thing that is hard to find on satellite images is the old feldspar mine in the Mayfield hills.  I can find practically no trace of it.

                              Most of the other old roads are easy to pick out.

                              -Aaron

                              Robert Schoneman <suds@...> wrote:
                              One of the more interesting stops for lunch as been the Sport Island Pub.

                              A guess, but I believe this was the old Tamarack Bar, on the lake in Sacandaga Park. Across the street from Miniature Golf, etc. My parents residences were about three miles south of there on the lake, 3/4 of the way up to the state campsite on Houseman St.

                              I believe Rt 30 was the old FJ&G ROW to Northville.

                              It would be nice to see the station, with or without the group. I will have time. I think I will write the proprietor.

                              Bob Schoneman

                            • peter sefton
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 29, 2007

                                The Tamarack is now Vic’s Tavern

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 29, 2007
                                  Bob, you can get all the information on the station by going to google and searching "Sacandaga Station or Sacandaga Park.  Willem Monster, who owns the property, has put up an interesting web site about the railroad, the station, park and his goals.  I believe he also has contact information there.  He is friendly to those of us interested in his work.

                                  PKL

                                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: suds@...
                                  Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:31:53 -0700

                                  One of the more interesting stops for lunch as been the Sport Island Pub.

                                  A guess, but I believe this was the old Tamarack Bar, on the lake in Sacandaga Park. Across the street from Miniature Golf, etc. My parents residences were about three miles south of there on the lake, 3/4 of the way up to the state campsite on Houseman St.

                                  I believe Rt 30 was the old FJ&G ROW to Northville.

                                  It would be nice to see the station, with or without the group. I will have time. I think I will write the proprietor.

                                  Bob Schoneman

                                  Missed the show?  Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN. See them now!
                                • Robert Schoneman
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 30, 2007
                                    Ah yes, I see we have changes. It will be a interesting trip.  Been 10 years since I was up there. Thanks all for your updates and links.

                                    Bob Schoneman
                                    Appleton, WI