Parking Lot in Fonda

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 7, 2007
      Hi All,

      Across from the location of the NYC freight office in Fonda there is a
      parking lot, any idea what was there before, can't find anything in the
      background that shows any building(s) in the late fifties. Even one of
      the old postcards of the stations shows the current buildings but where
      the parking lot is now are trees, of course there could be a two storey
      structure there that would be below the station's roof line at the angle
      to postcard is drawn.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
        In the old, old days, the Hotel Roy was in that location.  You can
        search that on the net.  It burned very early, way before the 50's.
        Another building did occupy that space and I'm sure it was there in
        the 50'.  I think we've got a photo of it somewhere!  I know one of
        our Fonda locals can tell you when the other building was erected.  In
        the 80's it was Porky's bar...

        Gino

        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
          Hi Gino,

          Wrong street! I was looking for information on what I now see as a two
          storey store across Rt 5 from the station property, just a bit east of
          that actually, more across Rt 5 from the NYC freight office. Now there
          is only a parking lot but in one of the street car photos in Randy
          Decker's FJ&G book you can see the top of the building but not much more.

          While we're on the subject, when did the Hotel Roy disappear? In '59
          there appears to be a wooden two storey building with dormers but not
          the white with blue trim storey and a half that was there in the '80s
          when Steve hunter took the pictures for me... might have to dig around
          the archives again, then Glenn mentioned the previous structure... but
          still am interested in when the Roy was removed.

          Paul :-)

          Gino's Railpage wrote:
          > In the old, old days, the Hotel Roy was in that location. You can
          > search that on the net. It burned very early, way before the 50's.
          > Another building did occupy that space and I'm sure it was there in
          > the 50'. I think we've got a photo of it somewhere! I know one of
          > our Fonda locals can tell you when the other building was erected. In
          > the 80's it was Porky's bar...
          >
          > Gino
        • Glenn J. Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > Across from the location of the NYC freight office in Fonda there is a
            > parking lot, any idea what was there before, can't find anything in the
            > background that shows any building(s) in the late fifties. Even one of
            > the old postcards of the stations shows the current buildings but where
            > the parking lot is now are trees, of course there could be a two storey
            > structure there that would be below the station's roof line at the angle
            > to postcard is drawn.
            >
            > Paul :-)

            Paul,

            AFAIK, it was always the parking lot/trucking turning lot.

            Glenn
            (Ocala, FL, today)
          • Glenn J. Williams
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

              > Hi Gino,
              >
              > Wrong street! I was looking for information on what I now see as a two
              > storey store across Rt 5 from the station property, just a bit east of
              > that actually, more across Rt 5 from the NYC freight office. Now there
              > is only a parking lot but in one of the street car photos in Randy
              > Decker's FJ&G book you can see the top of the building but not much more.
              >
              > While we're on the subject, when did the Hotel Roy disappear? In '59
              > there appears to be a wooden two storey building with dormers but not
              > the white with blue trim storey and a half that was there in the '80s
              > when Steve hunter took the pictures for me... might have to dig around
              > the archives again, then Glenn mentioned the previous structure... but
              > still am interested in when the Roy was removed.
              >
              > Paul :-)
              >
              > Gino's Railpage wrote:
              > > In the old, old days, the Hotel Roy was in that location. You can
              > > search that on the net. It burned very early, way before the 50's.
              > > Another building did occupy that space and I'm sure it was there in
              > > the 50'. I think we've got a photo of it somewhere! I know one of
              > > our Fonda locals can tell you when the other building was erected. In
              > > the 80's it was Porky's bar...
              > >
              > > Gino

              Paul,

              The Hotel Roy burned in a fire back in '05. 1905, that is.

              When I was growing up, the Colonial Restaurant was on the site. It was rebuilt somewhat
              smaller after a fire, date unknown by me.

              Glenm
              (Ocala, FL, today)
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 9, 2007
                Hi Glenn,

                So it would have been the Colonial in the late '50s even though it
                wasn't the same Colonial in the mid '80s when Steve took the shots for
                me. Thanks, that helps!

                Paul :-)

                Glenn J. Williams wrote:

                > Paul,
                >
                > The Hotel Roy burned in a fire back in '05. 1905, that is.
                >
                > When I was growing up, the Colonial Restaurant was on the site. It was rebuilt somewhat
                > smaller after a fire, date unknown by me.
                >
                > Glenm
                > (Ocala, FL, today)
              • Gerald Snyder
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 12, 2007
                  Paul,
                  I have a postcard of the hotel burning (artist's
                  license) which identifies the construction date as
                  1835 and destruction by fire 1/25/1909. I was talking
                  to the Fonda historian last week. He has been doing
                  research on the fire and said that it was an arson job
                  supported by a number of gas cans placed around the
                  hotel's basement - he had a lot of details on the
                  trial of the man arrested (but not convicted) for it.
                  Let me know if you want a scan of the card.

                  I might be able to help you out with the other
                  building also, but I'm lost as to just where the
                  location you're describing is along Main St.
                  Jerry
                  --- "Glenn J. Williams" <gjwilliams@...> wrote:

                  > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland
                  > >
                  > > Hi Gino,
                  > >
                  > > Wrong street! I was looking for information on
                  > what I now see as a two
                  > > storey store across Rt 5 from the station
                  > property, just a bit east of
                  > > that actually, more across Rt 5 from the NYC
                  > freight office. Now there
                  > > is only a parking lot but in one of the street car
                  > photos in Randy
                  > > Decker's FJ&G book you can see the top of the
                  > building but not much more.
                  > >
                  > > While we're on the subject, when did the Hotel Roy
                  > disappear? In '59
                  > > there appears to be a wooden two storey building
                  > with dormers but not
                  > > the white with blue trim storey and a half that
                  > was there in the '80s
                  > > when Steve hunter took the pictures for me...
                  > might have to dig around
                  > > the archives again, then Glenn mentioned the
                  > previous structure... but
                  > > still am interested in when the Roy was removed.
                  > >
                  > > Paul :-)
                  > >
                  > > Gino's Railpage wrote:
                  > > > In the old, old days, the Hotel Roy was in that
                  > location. You can
                  > > > search that on the net. It burned very early,
                  > way before the 50's.
                  > > > Another building did occupy that space and I'm
                  > sure it was there in
                  > > > the 50'. I think we've got a photo of it
                  > somewhere! I know one of
                  > > > our Fonda locals can tell you when the other
                  > building was erected. In
                  > > > the 80's it was Porky's bar...
                  > > >
                  > > > Gino
                  > >

                  > Paul,
                  >
                  > The Hotel Roy burned in a fire back in '05. 1905,
                  > that is.
                  >
                  > When I was growing up, the Colonial Restaurant was
                  > on the site. It was rebuilt somewhat
                  > smaller after a fire, date unknown by me.
                  >
                  > Glenm
                  > (Ocala, FL, today)

                  Don't pick lemons.
                  See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                  http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 12, 2007
                    Hi Gerry,

                    We must be talking about the same lot, it would be just west of the old
                    Maze Hotel. I'm looking for information on this lot so I if I need to
                    draw anything in the space for the train-sim route I'm creating. If
                    there's nothing there it's going to be pretty easy to draw! I have
                    pretty much the rest of the north side of the street all the way to a
                    garage across from Socony Mobil. Probably need some help after that,
                    there is a building on the north side of the street between the river
                    and county road 334 i have no information on other then it's appearance
                    in the Google Earth shots.

                    Thanks for the shot of the Episcopal Church, much clearer then the one I
                    have from the '80s.

                    Paul :-)

                    Gerald Snyder wrote:
                    > Paul,
                    > I have a postcard of the hotel burning (artist's
                    > license) which identifies the construction date as
                    > 1835 and destruction by fire 1/25/1909. I was talking
                    > to the Fonda historian last week. He has been doing
                    > research on the fire and said that it was an arson job
                    > supported by a number of gas cans placed around the
                    > hotel's basement - he had a lot of details on the
                    > trial of the man arrested (but not convicted) for it.
                    > Let me know if you want a scan of the card.
                    >
                    > I might be able to help you out with the other
                    > building also, but I'm lost as to just where the
                    > location you're describing is along Main St.
                    > Jerry
                  • pklarner
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 13, 2007
                      Paul, Would a couple postcard shots from much earlier help?

                      PKL

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 13, 2007
                        Hi Paul,

                        Any help would be appreciated. If this building was gone by the late
                        50's then it really doesn't matter but you never know what turns up in
                        the background of these shots.

                        I have no information on what's on the north side of the street north of
                        the parking lot other then what I can see on the Google Earth image,
                        what look to be two large buildings with their own parking lot between
                        them. Are these stores as well or something else?

                        Paul :-)