Status of the Machine shop

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2007
      The use of the shop building has diminished somewhat.  The fellow formerly running the repair shop has taken employment elsewhere and seems to be doing that business on a part time basis now.  The building is not on the county's demolition list at this time and shouldn't get there unless the taxes go into arrears.

      I mentioned the shop forged hoist on the east end that should be saved should it be determined in the best interests to take it down.  I am pleased to have heard that the historical significance of the building is recognized thus with the proper infusion of cash it could be restored and reused possibly as a museum type use.

      My dream would be to reequip the place to its as photographed shop use ala the East Broad Top shops perhaps.  Not likely but not impossible that the appropriate rods and pulleys etc. might even still exist in one of the older tanneries or other shops in the area.  The old boiler building and stack are, in my mind, outside the realm of realistically being recreated.  Had someone only had the foresight to save the Stores and blacksmith buildings.  No East Broad Top could ever have happened in Gloversville; the business left too slowly.

      Dreaming, but man what would I give to spend a week roaming between S. Main Street and Spring St. in 1908.  To hear it and smell it; to photograph it.

      Wouldn't it be nice to have a presentation of Ira Barnes photography one year?

      PKL

      Play free games, earn tickets, get cool prizes! Join Live Search Club.   Join Live Search Club!