Odds & ends

    Message 1 of 13 , May 28, 2007
      I was upstate in Johnstown this weekend where I managed to get the John
      Deere stuck in the mud. On the way back home today i was pleased to see
      Guilford # 54 coupled long hood east to a consist at Rotterdam Junction.
      This was probably just the local coupled to the road power. The consist was
      54, 317,347 and 690. By the way Guilford pang for a new trailer at RJ that
      they leased from William Scotsman.

      Further along I saw one of the GE units outside the plant but could not see
      the number because of the height of the guardrail.

      At the old Sandbank yard I spotted CSX 6201 shuffling cars.

      As I passed Kenwood I saw CP 7308 sitting by the yard office with that Wide
      Vision caboose. The northbound intermodal left town around 11:30 but I did
      not see the power as the kids and I were touring the Destroyer Escort down
      by Dutch Apple Cruises. FWIW I recommend a visit to that ship. For the five
      of us the admission was 29 bucks, not cheap, but not like going to Yankee
      Stadium either. They give a nice guided tour and the ship has been nicely
      restored........except that I was below deck when the Intermodal left town.
      I could hear it but not see it.

      Some tid bits from my journey home.

      Live Hotmail.
      Message 2 of 13 , May 28, 2007
        CSX shuffling cars in Sandbank?

[...]

        PC Magazine's 2007 editors' choice for best Web mail-award-winning
        Windows Live Hotmail.
        http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migr
        ation_HM_mini_pcmag_0507

        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York State
        at
        http://ny.existingstations.com/
        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 13 , May 28, 2007
          The only thing at Sandbank is the sand. The rest has been history for some time.

          PKL

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: Gino.Dicarlo@...
          Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:56:07 -0500
          Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Odds & ends

          Visit The FJ&G Store At http://www.cafepres s.com/fjgrr
          Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
          http://www.lostland marks.org
          Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York State
          at
          http://ny.existings tations.com/
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Change is good. See what's different about Windows Live Hotmail. Check it out!
          Message 4 of 13 , May 28, 2007
            That's why I was asking!

            Gino

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: Gino.Dicarlo@qg.com
            Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:56:07 -0500

            --
            www.ginosrailpage.com
            www.fjgrr.org
            Message 5 of 13 , May 29, 2007
              Well the unit was there, I was doing 60 mph and he appeared to be moving
              cars .

              >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
              >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Odds & ends
              >Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:56:07 -0500
              >
              >CSX shuffling cars in Sandbank?
              >
              >Gino

              Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i�m Initiative now.
              It�s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07
              Message 6 of 13 , May 29, 2007
                Uh oh.... I thought the yard along the Albany - Chicago Main with all the
                tank and flexi-flo cars was the Sandbank Yard..........

                >From: "Gino's Railpage" <fjgrailroad@...>
                >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Odds & end
                >Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 02:04:28 -0400
                >
                >That's why I was asking!
                >
                >Gino
                >

                >On 5/29/07, Paul Larner <pklarner@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> The only thing at Sandbank is the sand. The rest has been history for
                >>some time.
                >>
                >>PKL
                >>

                >> ------------------------------
                >>To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                >>From: Gino.Dicarlo@...
                >>Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:56:07 -0500
                >>Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Odds & ends
                >>
                >> CSX shuffling cars in Sandbank?
                >>
                >>Gino

                Catch suspicious messages before you open them�with Windows Live Hotmail.
                http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507
                Message 7 of 13 , May 29, 2007
                  Was it Sandbank though? Were you travelin' Sunnyside Road in Scotia?

                  Gino

                  --
                  www.ginosrailpage.com
                  www.fjgrr.org
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 29, 2007
                    Oh, that's West Albany Yard. Yeah, there's always switching going on there!

                    --
                    www.ginosrailpage.com
                    www.fjgrr.org
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 29, 2007
                      I was on 787 eastbound near SUNY

                      >From: "Gino's Railpage" <fjgrailroad@...>
                      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Odds & end
                      >Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 20:32:50 -0400
                      >
                      >Was it Sandbank though? Were you travelin' Sunnyside Road in Scotia?
                      >
                      >Gino
                      >
                      >On 5/29/07, joseph Klapkowski <riverlinejoe@...> wrote:
                      > > Well the unit was there, I was doing 60 mph and he appeared to be moving
                      > > cars .
                      > >

                      > > >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                      > > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                      > > >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Odds & ends
                      > > >Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:56:07 -0500
                      > > >
                      > > >CSX shuffling cars in Sandbank?
                      > > >
                      > > >Gino

                      More photos, more messages, more storage�get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 29, 2007
                        West Albany is the yard you cross heading East on Freebie 90. It's
                        right near the Everett Road Exit.

                        --
                        www.ginosrailpage.com
                        www.fjgrr.org
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 29, 2007
                          There's only a single track main from the Schenectady platform west to Hoffmans owned by Amtrak.  Indeed there could have been a unit there moving cars.

                          PKL

                          > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: riverlinejoe@...
                          > Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 21:37:07 +0000
                          > Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Odds & ends
                          >
                          > Well the unit was there, I was doing 60 mph and he appeared to be moving
                          > cars .
                          >

                          > >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                          > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                          > >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Odds & ends
                          > >Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:56:07 -0500
                          > >
                          > >CSX shuffling cars in Sandbank?
                          > >
                          > >Gino

                          Create the ultimate e-mail address book. Import your contacts to Windows Live Hotmail. Try it!
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 29, 2007
                            That's West Albany yard and the site of the former shops.  Quite a lot of history in that dirt.  The yard is serviced from the Carmen Branch.  Just west of there the NYC had a large yard system, which lasted till the cutoff and Selkirk were built.  At one point in the late 19th century Karner Yard was the largest classification yard in the world.  Freight cars needing to be taken to the shop, I am told were often dropped down to the shop yards.

                            In my research for FJ&G information I came across an article describing the construction of the yard and its capacities.  If I made a copy of it, however, I did not include it in with the FJ&G notes, thus can't put my finger on it.

                            PKL

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 30, 2007
                              West Albany is the yard you cross heading East on Freebie 90. It's
                              right near the Everette Road Exit.

                              --
                              www.ginosrailpage.com
                              www.fjgrr.org