OLD ST. CECILIA'S IN FONDA

    Message 1 of 8 , May 22 12:52 PM
      Hi All,

      I'm wondering if OLD ST. CECILIA'S church that once stood in Fonda on Rt
      5 is the same church that was across the road from the red apartment
      buildings that were next to the NYC freighthouse. I have a photo from
      about 1986 that show a white brick church that looks abandoned that
      looks similar but not 100% convinced they are one and the same.

      http://www.lostlandmarks.org/fondagrange.html

      If not, does anyone have a rough idea when the church across from the
      apartments closed?

      Message 2 of 8 , May 22 5:13 PM
        The church in the picture on Pete's page is the old one that was right across from
        the apartment buildings you talk about.  Didn't you model that building in 3PI?  I think
        you did!  Someone may have thown some red paint on it in the late 80's.  I can't remember
        that church ever in operation in the time I lived in the area...

        Gino

        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org
        Message 3 of 8 , May 22 5:23 PM
          Hi Gino,

          Yes I did model that church for the 3PI layout but now I need to draw
          things like doors and windows and put them in appropriate places! The
          red paint through me off, I couldn't figure out why anyone would paint
          what looked like a long abandoned building. Boarded up windows are
          easier to draw then stained glass any old day!

          Paul :-)

          Gino's Railpage wrote:
          > The church in the picture on Pete's page is the old one that was right
          > across from
          > the apartment buildings you talk about. Didn't you model that building in
          > 3PI? I think
          > you did! Someone may have thown some red paint on it in the late 80's. I
          > can't remember
          > that church ever in operation in the time I lived in the area...
          >
          > Gino
          >

          > On 5/22/07, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi All,
          >>
          >> I'm wondering if OLD ST. CECILIA'S church that once stood in Fonda on Rt
          >> 5 is the same church that was across the road from the red apartment
          >> buildings that were next to the NYC freighthouse. I have a photo from
          >> about 1986 that show a white brick church that looks abandoned that
          >> looks similar but not 100% convinced they are one and the same.
          >>
          >> http://www.lostlandmarks.org/fondagrange.html
          >>
          >> If not, does anyone have a rough idea when the church across from the
          >> apartments closed?
          >>
          >> Paul :-)

        • Gerald Snyder
          Message 4 of 8 , May 23 8:49 PM
            Hi Paul,
            Hope the attached may help.
            Jerry

            ____________________________________________________________________________________Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.
            http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
            Message 5 of 8 , May 24 3:33 AM
              Thanks Jerry,

              This is a big help. There are so many similarities in the design of
              this church and the design of the white brick church across the street
              from the red apartment buildings you'd think they were built by the same
              people.

              Paul :-)

              Gerald Snyder wrote:
              > Hi Paul,
              > Hope the attached may help.
              > Jerry
            • Glenn J. Williams
              Message 6 of 8 , May 24 8:06 PM
                > --- Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi All,
                > >
                > > I'm wondering if OLD ST. CECILIA'S church that once
                > > stood in Fonda on Rt
                > > 5 is the same church that was across the road from
                > > the red apartment
                > > buildings that were next to the NYC freighthouse. I
                > > have a photo from
                > > about 1986 that show a white brick church that looks
                > > abandoned that
                > > looks similar but not 100% convinced they are one
                > > and the same.
                > >
                > > http://www.lostlandmarks.org/fondagrange.html
                > >
                > > If not, does anyone have a rough idea when the
                > > church across from the
                > > apartments closed?
                > >
                > > Paul :-)

                If I understand what Paul is asking about, it is the old, now collapsed red brick building
                directly across NY 5 from the gas station (Speedway, I believe). This was the original St.
                Cecilia's Roman Catholic Church. When the current church was built on Broadway, the old
                building was deconsecrated and became the Floyd Deckro American Legion post.

                The stone church across from the apartment building (just west of where the NYC freight
                house used to be) is the former Zion Episcopal Church building. It has been empty since
                the parish was closed in the late 1930s. It was still standing as of the last FJ&G Get
                Together in 2005.

                I have dates of construction and closure for the churches in my Fonda Centennial booklet,
                which my mother helped write and publish in 1950. While I cannot put my hands on it at
                the moment, I know I have it around somewhere. Hopefully I will find it after I retire on
                the Oneth of June.

                Glenn
                Penacook, NH
                Message 7 of 8 , May 25 4:51 AM
                  Hi Glenn,

                  Thanks for the help. Any idea when the Legion moved out of St.
                  Cecilia's, the only reference on line to "Floyd Deckro American Legion"
                  turned up one site that listed the post, must be the book your mother
                  helped write:

                  http://content.ancestry.netscape.com/iexec/?htx=BookList&dbid=17495&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0

                  All chapters are links but they go nowhere.

                  Paul :-)

                  Glenn J. Williams wrote:

                  > If I understand what Paul is asking about, it is the old, now collapsed red brick building
                  > directly across NY 5 from the gas station (Speedway, I believe). This was the original St.
                  > Cecilia's Roman Catholic Church. When the current church was built on Broadway, the old
                  > building was deconsecrated and became the post.
                  >
                  > The stone church across from the apartment building (just west of where the NYC freight
                  > house used to be) is the former Zion Episcopal Church building. It has been empty since
                  > the parish was closed in the late 1930s. It was still standing as of the last FJ&G Get
                  > Together in 2005.
                  >
                  > I have dates of construction and closure for the churches in my Fonda Centennial booklet,
                  > which my mother helped write and publish in 1950. While I cannot put my hands on it at
                  > the moment, I know I have it around somewhere. Hopefully I will find it after I retire on
                  > the Oneth of June.
                  >
                  > Glenn
                  > Penacook, NH
                • Glenn J. Williams
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 27 5:38 PM
                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Glenn,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the help. Any idea when the Legion moved out of St.
                    > Cecilia's, the only reference on line to "Floyd Deckro American Legion"
                    > turned up one site that listed the post, must be the book your mother
                    > helped write:
                    >
                    > http://content.ancestry.netscape.com/iexec/?htx=BookList&dbid=17495&offerid=0%
                    3a7858%3a0

                    > All chapters are links but they go nowhere.
                    >
                    > Paul :-)

                    Paul,

                    That's the booklet! I am glad to see that it was preserved on-line. I haven't registered
                    there yet, so I cannot comment on the reproduction quality.

                    There is a lot of good information on the village in there.

                    Glenn
                    Penacook, NH