Fonda Speedway

    Message 1 of 9 , May 10, 2007
      Hi All,

      While looking for a shot of the Fonda Speedway this morning I found our
      own Andy Fusco co-wrote a book on the history of the track!

      Bravo Andy!

      Paul :-)
    • andrewsfusco
      Message 2 of 9 , May 11, 2007
        Thank you Paul. I am very proud of that book. I've got a little Fonda Speedway modeled
        on my O gauge layout. My trouble is I like making the little race cars too much. Its
        getting so crowded that it's starting to look more like a demo derby than racetrack.---
        Andy

        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > While looking for a shot of the Fonda Speedway this morning I found our
        > own Andy Fusco co-wrote a book on the history of the track!
        >
        > Bravo Andy!
        >
        > Paul :-)

      • Skip Barber
        Message 3 of 9 , May 11, 2007
          Andy,

          Are Jeep Herbert, Pete Corey, Rene Charland (any relation Paul?) and Jack Johnson included in the book?  I'd like to get a copy of the book.  Where is it available?

          Skip

          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > While looking for a shot of the Fonda Speedway this morning I found our
          > own Andy Fusco co-wrote a book on the history of the track!
          >
          > Bravo Andy!
          >
          > Paul :-)

          Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
          http://www.lostlandmarks.org
          http://ny.existingstations.com/
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:FJGRailroad-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:FJGRailroad-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 11, 2007
            Hi Skip,

            Don't think I'm related to Rene, if I recall, he's from the Cornwall
            Ontario area but raced in the States long before Canadian tracks joined
            the DIRT tour.

            Andy's book is available at:

            http://www.coastal181.com/nlm-working-April-2005/shorttrack-2.htm

            Paul :-)

            Message 5 of 9 , May 11, 2007
              Hi Andy,

              Am I to think there is a chapter on the best place in the stands to
              watch trains from or am I asking too much!

              When I was looking for photos of the grandstand I came across what
              appears to be a DIRT racing simulator, two of the tracks you can
              download are Fonda Speedway tracks, (one is "v2", must have improved
              scenery or something). Didn't have time to read the site to see what it
              actually is as I was busy drawing the grandstands in MSTS.

              http://www.sofakingmotorsports.com/r2tracks.shtml

              Paul :-)

              Message 6 of 9 , May 12, 2007
                Did you guys know that Richard Petty Raced at Fonda......

                >From: "andrewsfusco" <fusco@...>
                >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda Speedway
                >Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 12:17:55 -0000
                >
                >Thank you Paul. I am very proud of that book. I've got a little Fonda
                >Speedway modeled
                >on my O gauge layout. My trouble is I like making the little race cars
                >too much. Its
                >getting so crowded that it's starting to look more like a demo derby than
                >racetrack.---
                >Andy
                >
                >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi All,
                > >
                > > While looking for a shot of the Fonda Speedway this morning I found our
                > > own Andy Fusco co-wrote a book on the history of the track!
                > >
                > > Bravo Andy!
                > >
                > > Paul :-)

                More photos, more messages, more storage�get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
              • andrewsfusco
                Message 7 of 9 , May 13, 2007
                  I did an entire chapter on the four NASCAR Cup races held at Fonda (1955, 1965, 1966
                  and 1967) with lotsa pictures, including some I took myself on my Polaroid Swinger plastic
                  camera that I got for Christmas when I was 13. Junior Johnson, Richard Petty and David
                  Pearson won 'em and I interviewed all three for the book.

                  Paul, the top of the fourth turn bleachers was the best place to railfan. The barges on the
                  river were an eyecandy treat as well.

                  Rene Charland is originally from Northern New Hampshire just over the border from
                  Quebec. He lived most of his life in Agawam, Mass. and is now retired in Broadalbin (of all
                  places). His health is sketchy now, but he can still spin a yarn. I went to Broadalbin to
                  visit with him over this past Thanksgiving. The Beatles Love CD had just been released on
                  was on the car stereo and Rene carrying on about when he was NASCAR's champion.
                  Man, what a timewarp. It was 1964 all over again---minus the FJ&G.

                  By the way fellas, our host Gino is quite a racing fan too. All three of the books I've done
                  are available at www. coastal181.com.----Andy

                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@...> wrote:

                  > Did you guys know that Richard Petty Raced at Fonda......
                  >

                  > >From: "andrewsfusco" <fusco@...>
                  > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda Speedway
                  > >Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 12:17:55 -0000
                  > >
                  > >Thank you Paul. I am very proud of that book. I've got a little Fonda
                  > >Speedway modeled
                  > >on my O gauge layout. My trouble is I like making the little race cars
                  > >too much. Its
                  > >getting so crowded that it's starting to look more like a demo derby than
                  > >racetrack.---
                  > >Andy
                  > >
                  > >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi All,
                  > > >
                  > > > While looking for a shot of the Fonda Speedway this morning I found our
                  > > > own Andy Fusco co-wrote a book on the history of the track!
                  > > >
                  > > > Bravo Andy!
                  > > >
                  > > > Paul :-)

                  > More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
                  > http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-
                  us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 13, 2007
                    Yes, I recall seeing him race, must be in the early to mid sixties.

                    PKL

                    > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: riverlinejoe@...
                    > Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 03:26:44 +0000
                    > Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda Speedway
                    >
                    > Did you guys know that Richard Petty Raced at Fonda......
                    >

                    > >From: "andrewsfusco" <fusco@...>
                    > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda Speedway
                    > >Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 12:17:55 -0000
                    > >
                    > >Thank you Paul. I am very proud of that book. I've got a little Fonda
                    > >Speedway modeled
                    > >on my O gauge layout. My trouble is I like making the little race cars
                    > >too much. Its
                    > >getting so crowded that it's starting to look more like a demo derby than
                    > >racetrack.---
                    > >Andy
                    > >
                    > >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi All,
                    > > >
                    > > > While looking for a shot of the Fonda Speedway this morning I found our
                    > > > own Andy Fusco co-wrote a book on the history of the track!
                    > > >
                    > > > Bravo Andy!
                    > > >
                    > > > Paul :-)

                    > More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
                    > http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507

                    > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                    > http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > <*> Your email settings:
                    > Individual Email | Traditional
                    >
                    > <*> To change settings online go to:
                    > (Yahoo! ID required)
                    >
                    > <*> To change settings via email:
                    > mailto:FJGRailroad-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    > mailto:FJGRailroad-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Add some color. Personalize your inbox with your favorite colors. Try it!
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 13, 2007
                      Junior Johnson wo in 1955
                      David Pearson won in 1966
                      Richard Petty won in 1967