Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Brill #127

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 27, 2007
      Aaron,

      I believe that they were much lighter than a regular railroad passenger car. I have ridden on many of the the old Pullman standard cars which had "uppers" and "lowers" as well as on the newer Pullmans which had Roomettes. These were much more massive than the Bullets. Somewhere I recall that the Bullets weighed about 20 tons.

      As for colors, I am quite color blind so I can't help you there. No particular smell. If they had an odor it was probably caused by the soap that was used in cleaning them. They were quite noiseless. No gear sounds like the Schenectady city trolleys. I do recall that when jogging forward at slow speeds in city traffic, there was a noticeable "bark" of a d-c contactor as it interrupted the current to the motors. Otherwise they had no distinctive sounds.

      I can recall that at one Christmas time, my grandmother took for a ride around the Gloversville belt line to see the Christmas lights. I don't recall anything about the lights but I was duly impressed with the trolley car. I would have been about five years old at the time. I had an uncle who lived on North Boulevard in Gloversville and I recall the growl of the gears on the belt line cars as they went past his house. Just as I entered Columbia School as a freshman, they abandoned the belt line trolleys. I was very disappointed.

      In later years I observed that the outside lights, at the old Kingsborough railroad station, were wired in groups of five lamps in series, indicating that they had been powered from the 600 volt d-c from the old belt line which passed near by.

      Mal Horton
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 28, 2007
        Hey all,

        I wanted to let any interested people know about an internet radio
        show I started up a couple of months ago called Roadside Radio. I
        discuss travel and tourism ideas, trying to focus on the unique places
        to go, and family run food places to eat.
        On my show this week, I have an interview with Bob Cudmore, talking
        about Amsterdam, and a couple of places to eat in Amsterdam that are
        local places. I had hoped to get the Tourism Director for the County,
        but I'm not sure if we'll connect before the show.
        Also have Gary Thomas who wrote a book on "Diners of the North
        Shore" (in Massachusetts)

        The show is on live every Tuesday at 7:30pm EST
        www.blogtalkradio.com/nydiners or an easier link to remember is
        roadsideradio.com and you're only two clicks away. You can also
        listen to back shows anytime. Even cooler, is you can call in. So if
        you wanted to mention some place in the Fulton Montgomery area (or
        really, anywhere in the country) the number is given at the start of
        the show, AND on the website.

        -Mike Engle
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 28, 2007
          Good luck Mike.  Being a former radio person this sounds pretty neat to me!
          Bob Cudmore was my broadcast speaking professor during my senio year
          at college.  Very nice guy.  He has also written some great articles about
          the FJ&G in Amsterdam...

          Gino

          --
          www.ginosrailpage.com