Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Brill #127

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 26, 2007
      Gino,

      They had to come to a full stop and the motorman had to go out to the back and pull the pole down, using the attached rope, and guide it on to the wire.

      As a kid, I used to ride my bike down to the Gloversville car barns to see the action. Every car coming in from the Schenectady run was cleaned on the inside, the potty was emptied, The ice and the water was replaced and the car went on to a track pit where the trucks were lubricated. If the trolley pole had come off the wire during the previous trip, it would be bent into a curve cause by it hitting the crossarms which supported the overhead trolley wire. If the pole was bent, it would be removed and straightened. This was done by inserting the bottom end of the pole into a horizontal hole in one of the car barn roof support columns. Several guys on the other end of the pole would push down and rotate the pole until it had been straightened. It would then be reinstalled on the car. There was a vertical storage rack along one wall of the barn for trolley poles. If they didn't have time to straighten a trolley pole, they would grab an already straightened pole from the rack and straighten the bent pole later.

      Mal
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 27, 2007
        Mal,

        Another question on the trolleys, specifically the Bullets: were they
        really thin and light, or were they "heavier" equipment, as in a regular
        railroad passenger car?

        What did the seats look like? What colors were the interior?

        What did they smell like? What did they sound like?

        On 4/26/07, Malcolm Horton <mdhorton@...<mailto:mdhorton@...>>
        wrote:

[...]

        gjwilliams@...<mailto:gjwilliams@...>> wrote:
        --- In
        FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com<mailto:FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>, "Gino's

        --
        www.ginosrailpage.com<http://www.ginosrailpage.com/>
        www.fjgrr.org<http://www.fjgrr.org/>

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 27, 2007
          Aaron,

          I believe that they were much lighter than a regular railroad passenger car. I have ridden on many of the the old Pullman standard cars which had "uppers" and "lowers" as well as on the newer Pullmans which had Roomettes. These were much more massive than the Bullets. Somewhere I recall that the Bullets weighed about 20 tons.

          As for colors, I am quite color blind so I can't help you there. No particular smell. If they had an odor it was probably caused by the soap that was used in cleaning them. They were quite noiseless. No gear sounds like the Schenectady city trolleys. I do recall that when jogging forward at slow speeds in city traffic, there was a noticeable "bark" of a d-c contactor as it interrupted the current to the motors. Otherwise they had no distinctive sounds.

          I can recall that at one Christmas time, my grandmother took for a ride around the Gloversville belt line to see the Christmas lights. I don't recall anything about the lights but I was duly impressed with the trolley car. I would have been about five years old at the time. I had an uncle who lived on North Boulevard in Gloversville and I recall the growl of the gears on the belt line cars as they went past his house. Just as I entered Columbia School as a freshman, they abandoned the belt line trolleys. I was very disappointed.

          In later years I observed that the outside lights, at the old Kingsborough railroad station, were wired in groups of five lamps in series, indicating that they had been powered from the 600 volt d-c from the old belt line which passed near by.

          Mal Horton

          gjwilliams@mac. com<mailto:gjwilliams@mac. com>> wrote:
          --- In
          FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com<mailto:FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com>, "Gino's
          Railpage" <fjgrailroad@ ...> wrote:

          > OK, I was being diplomatic. I'm PO'd that it isn't being restored
          to FJ&G
          > colors.
          > What really hurt is they painted over the "Fonda Johnstown
          Gloversville
          > Schenectady"
          > under the windows. I've got a photo somewhere of this before they
          > re-painted over it!
          >
          > Yes, it's not my money, but as Paul said, if it weren't for the
          FJ&G there
          > wouldn't be Bamberger Bullets!!!
          >
          > Gino

          Sad but true, Gino. With the 70th anniversary of the Electric
          Division's demise coming
          next August, there are few left in our area who remember the
          Bullets, let alone rode them.

          In 1956, I discovered that my next-door neighbour's wife - a Utah
          native - worked for the
          UP as a turntable operator during WW II and commuted to work on the
          Bullets. "Went like
          the wind," was the way she put it. She recalls their being smooth
          riders, too.

          BTW, the step platform on the roof for the trolley pole was needed
          'cuz the wire height out
          west was higher than was the case on eastern roads. The extra
          height maintained proper
          pressure on the wire and also made for easier backup moves.

          Glenn
          Penacook, NH

          --
          www.ginosrailpage. com<http://www.ginosrai lpage.com/>
          www.fjgrr.org<http://www.fjgrr. org/>

          --
          www.ginosrailpage. com<http://www.ginosrai lpage.com/>
          www.fjgrr.org<http://www.fjgrr. org/>

        • Mike engle
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 28, 2007
            Hey all,

            I wanted to let any interested people know about an internet radio
            show I started up a couple of months ago called Roadside Radio. I
            discuss travel and tourism ideas, trying to focus on the unique places
            to go, and family run food places to eat.
            On my show this week, I have an interview with Bob Cudmore, talking
            about Amsterdam, and a couple of places to eat in Amsterdam that are
            local places. I had hoped to get the Tourism Director for the County,
            but I'm not sure if we'll connect before the show.
            Also have Gary Thomas who wrote a book on "Diners of the North
            Shore" (in Massachusetts)

            The show is on live every Tuesday at 7:30pm EST
            www.blogtalkradio.com/nydiners or an easier link to remember is
            roadsideradio.com and you're only two clicks away. You can also
            listen to back shows anytime. Even cooler, is you can call in. So if
            you wanted to mention some place in the Fulton Montgomery area (or
            really, anywhere in the country) the number is given at the start of
            the show, AND on the website.

            -Mike Engle
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 28, 2007
              Good luck Mike.  Being a former radio person this sounds pretty neat to me!
              Bob Cudmore was my broadcast speaking professor during my senio year
              at college.  Very nice guy.  He has also written some great articles about
              the FJ&G in Amsterdam...

              Gino