Re: [FJGRailroad] Brill #127

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 24, 2007
      Another one exists at a restaurant in Utah. I'm assuming this is one of
      the Bamberger/FJ&G units:
      http://www.dhke.com/railroad/utah/art.htm

      -Aaron
    • Glenn J. Williams
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 25, 2007
        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Saul Kalbfeld" <fjgbus@...> wrote:

        > I looked at #127 at the Orange Empire Railroad Museum website and it's looking good. Car
        has been painted back to the original FJ&G colors and the mechanical restoration is
        progressing. Take a look at http://www.oerm.org/pages/brr127.html.
        > Is this the only survivor of the original group?
        > Regards,
        > Saul

        While I am willing to be proven wrong, I read that the 127 was actually repainted in the
        Bamberger colours. In prepping the car, they stripped off some of the existing paint to
        discover the FJ&G lettering just to the left of the entrance door, just above the bottom sill.
        Pictures were taken of the lettering and repainting continued. IIRC, this was on the OER web
        site.

        The orange and yellow shown are too dull for the FJ&G's traction orange and yellow. Think of
        the orange and yellow on the 20 and 21 and 30 and 340.

        Glenn
        Penacook, NH
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 25, 2007
          Yeah, Glenn's right!  The restored the 127 to Bamberger, not FJ&G paint!  Before they
          painted, I was told this by John Smatlek from the OEM and asked why not FJ&G paint.
          He said it was a Bamberger Car way longer then the FJ&G.  I'm sad, but he's right!

          Gino

          --
          www.ginosrailpage.com
          www.fjgrr.org
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 25, 2007
            I once heard a similar analogy relating to time on the property being the "decider" (shouldn't have used that word)about a step mother.  Just because she was with one's father longer doesn't make her one's mother.

            THe 127 should have been painted FJ&G colors.  Had the  FJ&G not taken the risk in ordering these lightweights, they wouldn't exist.  No other company ordered "Baby" Brills.  Bamberger bought them at liquidation prices with little if any risk. Crummied them up with a staging to hold the trolley pole.   Should be traction orange, cream and black but it isn't my money...

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: fjgrailroad@...
            Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:51:44 -0400
            Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Brill #127

            On 4/25/07, Glenn J. Williams <gjwilliams@mac. com> wrote:

            --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, "Saul Kalbfeld" <fjgbus@...> wrote:

            > I looked at #127 at the Orange Empire Railroad Museum website and it's looking good. Car
            has been painted back to the original FJ&G colors and the mechanical restoration is
            progressing. Take a look at http://www.oerm. org/pages/ brr127.html.
            > Is this the only survivor of the original group?
            > Regards,
            > Saul

            While I am willing to be proven wrong, I read that the 127 was actually repainted in the
            Bamberger colours. In prepping the car, they stripped off some of the existing paint to
            discover the FJ&G lettering just to the left of the entrance door, just above the bottom sill.
            Pictures were taken of the lettering and repainting continued. IIRC, this was on the OER web
            site.

            The orange and yellow shown are too dull for the FJ&G's traction orange and yellow. Think of
            the orange and yellow on the 20 and 21 and 30 and 340.

            Glenn
            Penacook, NH

            --
            www.ginosrailpage. com
            www.fjgrr.org
          • Stephen G. Myers
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 25, 2007

              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
              From: fjgrailroad@ gmail.com
              Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:51:44 -0400

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 26, 2007
                OK, I was being diplomatic.  I'm PO'd that it isn't being restored to FJ&G colors.
                What really hurt is they painted over the "Fonda Johnstown Gloversville Schenectady"
                under the windows.  I've got a photo somewhere of this before they re-painted over it!

                Yes, it's not my money, but as Paul said, if it weren't for the FJ&G there wouldn't
                be Bamberger Bullets!!!

                Gino

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: fjgrailroad@gmail.com
                Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:51:44 -0400

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 26, 2007
                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Gino's Railpage" <fjgrailroad@...> wrote:

                  > OK, I was being diplomatic. I'm PO'd that it isn't being restored to FJ&G
                  > colors.
                  > What really hurt is they painted over the "Fonda Johnstown Gloversville
                  > Schenectady"
                  > under the windows. I've got a photo somewhere of this before they
                  > re-painted over it!
                  >
                  > Yes, it's not my money, but as Paul said, if it weren't for the FJ&G there
                  > wouldn't be Bamberger Bullets!!!
                  >
                  > Gino

                  Sad but true, Gino. With the 70th anniversary of the Electric Division's demise coming
                  next August, there are few left in our area who remember the Bullets, let alone rode them.

                  In 1956, I discovered that my next-door neighbour's wife - a Utah native - worked for the
                  UP as a turntable operator during WW II and commuted to work on the Bullets. "Went like
                  the wind," was the way she put it. She recalls their being smooth riders, too.

                  BTW, the step platform on the roof for the trolley pole was needed 'cuz the wire height out
                  west was higher than was the case on eastern roads. The extra height maintained proper
                  pressure on the wire and also made for easier backup moves.

                  Glenn
                  Penacook, NH
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 26, 2007
                    I think our own Mal Horton has had the pleasure of riding the Bullets.  He may
                    have some other connection also...

                    Gino

                    On 4/26/07, Glenn J. Williams <gjwilliams@...> wrote:

                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Gino's Railpage" <fjgrailroad@...> wrote:

                    > OK, I was being diplomatic. I'm PO'd that it isn't being restored to FJ&G
                    > colors.
                    > What really hurt is they painted over the "Fonda Johnstown Gloversville
                    > Schenectady"
                    > under the windows. I've got a photo somewhere of this before they
                    > re-painted over it!
                    >
                    > Yes, it's not my money, but as Paul said, if it weren't for the FJ&G there
                    > wouldn't be Bamberger Bullets!!!
                    >
                    > Gino

                    Sad but true, Gino. With the 70th anniversary of the Electric Division's demise coming
                    next August, there are few left in our area who remember the Bullets, let alone rode them.

                    In 1956, I discovered that my next-door neighbour's wife - a Utah native - worked for the
                    UP as a turntable operator during WW II and commuted to work on the Bullets. "Went like
                    the wind," was the way she put it. She recalls their being smooth riders, too.

                    BTW, the step platform on the roof for the trolley pole was needed 'cuz the wire height out
                    west was higher than was the case on eastern roads. The extra height maintained proper
                    pressure on the wire and also made for easier backup moves.

                    Glenn
                    Penacook, NH

                    --
                    www.ginosrailpage.com
                    www.fjgrr.org
                  • Malcolm Horton
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 26, 2007
                      I had the pleasure of riding the Bullets many times from Gloversville to Schenectady. It was a real thrill. They accelerated so smoothly and ran so fast. As I recall the speed was controlled by a foot pedal rather than by the usual controller found in most trolley cars. The brakes had a conventional hand control. On several occasions. the trolley pole jumped off of the wire at high speed, usually between Schenectady and Amsterdam. The emergency, battery operated, internal lights would come on. The motorman then opened the rear door and went outside to place the pole back onto the wire. When this was done the regular lights would come back on and the air compressor would start to recharge the air brake tanks.

                      The cars had a rest room and an ice water spigot for cold drinking water. Paper cups were provided. There was an observation lounge at the rear where one could sit and look out of the rear windows.

                      In 1952, I visited Salt Lake City while on a vacation trip to Yellowstone National Park. I took time out and rode one of the Bullets from Salt Lake to Ogden and back. The motorman said that the cars were about to be replaced by busses. A fire at the Ogden end of the line had destroyed the power house serving the north end of the Bamberger Line. The voltage kept getting lower and lower as we approached Ogden because all of the power was coming up from the Salt Lake end of the line, approximately 70 miles away. We made it into Ogden but very slowly.

                      Malcolm Horton

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 26, 2007
                          Gino,

                          They had to come to a full stop and the motorman had to go out to the back and pull the pole down, using the attached rope, and guide it on to the wire.

                          As a kid, I used to ride my bike down to the Gloversville car barns to see the action. Every car coming in from the Schenectady run was cleaned on the inside, the potty was emptied, The ice and the water was replaced and the car went on to a track pit where the trucks were lubricated. If the trolley pole had come off the wire during the previous trip, it would be bent into a curve cause by it hitting the crossarms which supported the overhead trolley wire. If the pole was bent, it would be removed and straightened. This was done by inserting the bottom end of the pole into a horizontal hole in one of the car barn roof support columns. Several guys on the other end of the pole would push down and rotate the pole until it had been straightened. It would then be reinstalled on the car. There was a vertical storage rack along one wall of the barn for trolley poles. If they didn't have time to straighten a trolley pole, they would grab an already straightened pole from the rack and straighten the bent pole later.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 27, 2007
                            Mal,

                            Another question on the trolleys, specifically the Bullets: were they
                            really thin and light, or were they "heavier" equipment, as in a regular
                            railroad passenger car?

                            What did the seats look like? What colors were the interior?

                            What did they smell like? What did they sound like?

                            On 4/26/07, Malcolm Horton <mdhorton@...<mailto:mdhorton@...>>
                            wrote:

[...]

                            gjwilliams@...<mailto:gjwilliams@...>> wrote:
                            --- In
                            FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com<mailto:FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>, "Gino's

                            www.ginosrailpage.com<http://www.ginosrailpage.com/>
                            www.fjgrr.org<http://www.fjgrr.org/>

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 27, 2007
                              Aaron,

                              I believe that they were much lighter than a regular railroad passenger car. I have ridden on many of the the old Pullman standard cars which had "uppers" and "lowers" as well as on the newer Pullmans which had Roomettes. These were much more massive than the Bullets. Somewhere I recall that the Bullets weighed about 20 tons.

                              As for colors, I am quite color blind so I can't help you there. No particular smell. If they had an odor it was probably caused by the soap that was used in cleaning them. They were quite noiseless. No gear sounds like the Schenectady city trolleys. I do recall that when jogging forward at slow speeds in city traffic, there was a noticeable "bark" of a d-c contactor as it interrupted the current to the motors. Otherwise they had no distinctive sounds.

                              I can recall that at one Christmas time, my grandmother took for a ride around the Gloversville belt line to see the Christmas lights. I don't recall anything about the lights but I was duly impressed with the trolley car. I would have been about five years old at the time. I had an uncle who lived on North Boulevard in Gloversville and I recall the growl of the gears on the belt line cars as they went past his house. Just as I entered Columbia School as a freshman, they abandoned the belt line trolleys. I was very disappointed.

                              In later years I observed that the outside lights, at the old Kingsborough railroad station, were wired in groups of five lamps in series, indicating that they had been powered from the 600 volt d-c from the old belt line which passed near by.

                              Mal Horton

                              gjwilliams@mac. com<mailto:gjwilliams@mac. com>> wrote:
                              --- In
                              FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com<mailto:FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com>, "Gino's
                              Railpage" <fjgrailroad@ ...> wrote:

                              > OK, I was being diplomatic. I'm PO'd that it isn't being restored
                              to FJ&G
                              > colors.
                              > What really hurt is they painted over the "Fonda Johnstown
                              Gloversville
                              > Schenectady"
                              > under the windows. I've got a photo somewhere of this before they
                              > re-painted over it!
                              >
                              > Yes, it's not my money, but as Paul said, if it weren't for the
                              FJ&G there
                              > wouldn't be Bamberger Bullets!!!
                              >
                              > Gino

                              Sad but true, Gino. With the 70th anniversary of the Electric
                              Division's demise coming
                              next August, there are few left in our area who remember the
                              Bullets, let alone rode them.

                              In 1956, I discovered that my next-door neighbour's wife - a Utah
                              native - worked for the
                              UP as a turntable operator during WW II and commuted to work on the
                              Bullets. "Went like
                              the wind," was the way she put it. She recalls their being smooth
                              riders, too.

                              BTW, the step platform on the roof for the trolley pole was needed
                              'cuz the wire height out
                              west was higher than was the case on eastern roads. The extra
                              height maintained proper
                              pressure on the wire and also made for easier backup moves.

                              Glenn
                              Penacook, NH

                              --
                              www.ginosrailpage. com<http://www.ginosrai lpage.com/>
                              www.fjgrr.org<http://www.fjgrr. org/>

                              --
                              www.ginosrailpage. com<http://www.ginosrai lpage.com/>
                              www.fjgrr.org<http://www.fjgrr. org/>

                            • Mike engle
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 28, 2007
                                Hey all,

                                I wanted to let any interested people know about an internet radio
                                show I started up a couple of months ago called Roadside Radio. I
                                discuss travel and tourism ideas, trying to focus on the unique places
                                to go, and family run food places to eat.
                                On my show this week, I have an interview with Bob Cudmore, talking
                                about Amsterdam, and a couple of places to eat in Amsterdam that are
                                local places. I had hoped to get the Tourism Director for the County,
                                but I'm not sure if we'll connect before the show.
                                Also have Gary Thomas who wrote a book on "Diners of the North
                                Shore" (in Massachusetts)

                                The show is on live every Tuesday at 7:30pm EST
                                www.blogtalkradio.com/nydiners or an easier link to remember is
                                roadsideradio.com and you're only two clicks away. You can also
                                listen to back shows anytime. Even cooler, is you can call in. So if
                                you wanted to mention some place in the Fulton Montgomery area (or
                                really, anywhere in the country) the number is given at the start of
                                the show, AND on the website.

                                -Mike Engle
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 28, 2007
                                  Good luck Mike.  Being a former radio person this sounds pretty neat to me!
                                  Bob Cudmore was my broadcast speaking professor during my senio year
                                  at college.  Very nice guy.  He has also written some great articles about
                                  the FJ&G in Amsterdam...

                                  Gino