Re: NYSW

  • DavidGriffin
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 21, 2007
      Yes, people in the Hudson Valley are crying for more and better rail service.  Seems odd that there is a perceived need between Syracuse and Binghamton.  I lived in Endicott for 3 years and never heard anyone say, "Gee, I wish there were passenger service to Syracuse."
      Dave
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 22, 2007
        I would think a need exists from Bingo to NYC and from Bingo to Buffalo and beyond.
        I mean, Binghamton is big, right?  I don't think they've had passenger service at all
        in 40 years!  Isn't there a direct route via the NYSW to New York city from Binghamton,
        or is there NS trackage involved there?

        Gino

        --
        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 22, 2007
          The Binghamton metro area is barely larger than Utica.

          >I would think a need exists from Bingo to NYC and from Bingo to Buffalo
          >and
          > beyond.
          > I mean, Binghamton is big, right? I don't think they've had passenger
          > service at all
          > in 40 years! Isn't there a direct route via the NYSW to New York city
          > from
          > Binghamton,
          > or is there NS trackage involved there?
          >
          > Gino
        • Mark Wilber
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 22, 2007
            Gino- We own the Southern Tier from Binghamton to Port Jervis,then NJT owns from Port Jervis east.The problem with passenger trains on the southern tier is that the best speed a train can do is 35mph to 40mph. Its all curves along the Delaware River.Nobody wants to travel by rail if its going to take 7 hours by rail when you can travel to NYC in 4 hours by bus.Mark

            The Binghamton metro area is barely larger than Utica.

            >I would think a need exists from Bingo to NYC and from Bingo to Buffalo
            >and
            > beyond.
            > I mean, Binghamton is big, right? I don't think they've had passenger
            > service at all
            > in 40 years! Isn't there a direct route via the NYSW to New York city
            > from
            > Binghamton,
            > or is there NS trackage involved there?
            >
            > Gino

            TV dinner still cooling?
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 22, 2007

              Railroad funding since 2001 could exceed $17 million

              By: Michael McGuire, Sun Staff Writer

              Published on: Thursday, March 22, 2007

              CHENANGO COUNTY – The New York State Department of Transportation said Tuesday that the New York Susquehanna & Western railroad's operations statewide have received $12 million in funding since 2001.

              NYS&W confirmed Monday that the company is now asking for $5.6 million to repair and upgrade its lines, including a roughly 40-mile stretch between Sherburne and Chenango Forks that has been closed since June due to flood damage.

              "We've asked for it," said railroad spokesman Nathan Fenno. "We don't know if we'll get it."

              Fenno said the NYS&W would not be using the money to develop passenger service, as was reported Monday based on a letter from Empire State Development chairman Patrick Foye. Instead, the money would be used for general upgrades and flood repairs, Fenno said.

              On 3/22/07, Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@...> wrote:

              Gino- We own the Southern Tier from Binghamton to Port Jervis,then NJT owns from Port Jervis east.The problem with passenger trains on the southern tier is that the best speed a train can do is 35mph to 40mph. Its all curves along the Delaware River.Nobody wants to travel by rail if its going to take 7 hours by rail when you can travel to NYC in 4 hours by bus.Mark

              The Binghamton metro area is barely larger than Utica.

              >I would think a need exists from Bingo to NYC and from Bingo to Buffalo
              >and
              > beyond.
              > I mean, Binghamton is big, right? I don't think they've had passenger
              > service at all
              > in 40 years! Isn't there a direct route via the NYSW to New York city
              > from
              > Binghamton,
              > or is there NS trackage involved there?
              >
              > Gino

              TV dinner still cooling?

              www.ginosrailpage.com
              www.fjgrr.org
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 23, 2007
                You guys have not heard me complain about the 6:08 out of Hoboken going
                express to Harriman Station and stopped along the way where it is not
                supposed to..

                >From: DavidGriffin <davidgriffin@...>
                >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: NYSW
                >Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:12:10 -0400
                >
                >Yes, people in the Hudson Valley are crying for more and better rail
                >service. Seems odd that there is a perceived need between Syracuse and
                >Binghamton. I lived in Endicott for 3 years and never heard anyone say,
                >"Gee, I wish there were passenger service to Syracuse."
                >Dave

                i'm making a difference.�Make every IM count for the cause of your choice.
                Join Now.
                http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtagline
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 23, 2007
                  An "E stop" would it be?  On occasion I had been asked to make an "E stop" for a Mets' dispatcher or others.

                  PKL