RE: [FJGRailroad] Big Snow and the FJ&G

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 15, 2007
      Attached is the story of the Storm of March 1920 and its effect on the FJ&G.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: fjgbus@...
      Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:20:23 -0500
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Big Snow and the FJ&G

      How does this Northeast storm, (Feb. 14) compare with the 1921 or was it 1916 storms shown in the old FJ&G photos. How did the line cope? Clearing the tracks to Northville and Broadalbin must have been enormous tasks, or did they just embargo the lines until conditions improved. I say this looking out at my puny 5 inches of snow on our front lawn. Geeesh!
      Saul

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 15, 2007
        Do we not have images of this event?

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 16, 2007
          Hi Aaron,

          If you have Randy Decker's FJ&G book turn to pages 18 and 19 for two
          shots of the 1920 snowfall aftermath on the steam division and what may
          be the same storm on the electric division on page 87.

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 16, 2007
            I know that in the DO era that the Broadalbin Line would be shut down for weeks
            when there was too much snow.  The line did such little business in the mid-70's
            that it was no big deal shutting her down...

            GIno

            --
            www.ginosrailpage.com
            www.fjgrr.org
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 16, 2007
              Sorry folks, I've been offlist for a bit. A friend of mine from Northville emailed me the other day during the storm saying they had 2' of snow and still coming down hard. How much did you guys get?

              We have 3-4" of crusty old snow, patches of grass and bitterly cold weather. A heads up.

              Regards,

              Bob Schoneman
              Appleton, WI
            • Mark Wilber
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 16, 2007
                What saved Broadalbin in the late 70's was Martin Lumber.If it wasnt for them,they'd probably still would of shut down that line in the winter. Those winters up there were horrible.Some days and nights all we would do was picking ice at the crossings. Minus 0 degrees at night was basically a every night thing for us to work in.I'll never forget Superbowl sunday in 1980. Hauling up the tracks with about 10 empty lumber cars going by Coleco at Patch. Ice had accumulated on top of the tracks. We found oursselves fishtailing,then sliding down the tracks at 90 degrees.Then slid off and down a small bank.What a mess. That was with #20.Next day,just happen #21 was inside Coleco. We went in to get that to help out the re-railing job. We derailed that at the switch.After 3 or 4 days everything was back on.Mark

                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 16, 2007
                  Mark,

                  I believe Ira Barnes had pictures of this.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 16, 2007
                    Saratoga Springs got 22 inches, my mother in Gloversville got 32 inches and
                    I see that Stratford (NW Fulton County) got 42 inches.  I think those guys and
                    Salsbury in Herkimer County got pounded the most!

                    My sister lives in Parish, which is north of Syracuse and they got 10 feet of
                    snow last week.  I can't complain about the snow I got...

                    Gino

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 16, 2007
                      Mark,

                      I guess Walt wanted the FJ&G, but not the Broadalbin Branch in 1974.  Mohawk Furniture
                      and the feed store petitioned to keep the branch open.  It wasn't until 1976 that Pinewood
                      Sawdust, DK Fibre and later Martin Lumber started shipping from the Broadalbin Branch.
                      By that time, Mohawk Furniture stopped using the FJ&G to ship.  I'm not sure when the
                      Feed and Supply store stopped...

                      Gino

                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 16, 2007
                        I never saw Ira without a camera in his hands. I would love to see his collection. Mark

[...]

                        Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                      • Mark Wilber
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 16, 2007
                          I didnt start until April of '78,so I never got to see any switching for Mohawk Furniture or the Feed & Supply store.Bob Morey use to fill me in what use to go on with the switching details. Mark

[...]

                          always stay connected to friends.
                        • Mark Wilber
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 16, 2007
                            We got about 18 inches here in Binghamton. We just plowed yesterday from Bing to Syracuse to open up the line. Mark

                            On 2/16/07, Robert Schoneman <suds@ameritech. net> wrote:

                            Sorry folks, I've been offlist for a bit. A friend of mine from Northville emailed me the other day during the storm saying they had 2' of snow and still coming down hard. How much did you guys get?

                            We have 3-4" of crusty old snow, patches of grass and bitterly cold weather. A heads up.

                            Regards,

                            Bob Schoneman
                            Appleton, WI

                            --
                            www.ginosrailpage. com
                            www.fjgrr.org

                            Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 16, 2007
                              I put the story of this snow storm in a file yesterday but the attachment was not stored.  Let me try a copy and past here.

                              PKL

                              030820        GLOVERSVILLE AND JOHNSTOWN COMPLETELY ISOLATED BY WORST TIE-UP IN HISTORY OF F.J. & G. RAILROAD.

                                               50 PASSENGERS STALLED FOR 20 HOURS; TRAFFIC IS SUSPENDED ON ALL DIVISIONS.

                                               This morning finds the F., J. & G. railroad slowly crawling out from under one of the worst tie-ups in its history, traffic on all lines having been practically suspended since early Saturday afternoon, when the storm which commenced Friday morning with rain resolved itself into a western blizzard.

                                               The storm did not spend its fury until late Saturday night and left Gloversville and Johnstown completely cut off from the outside world as far as train service is concerned.  Exhausted train crews and shovelers struggled Saturday night and yesterday to restore service, but worked against heavy odds.

                                               Complete isolation of the Glove cities came Saturday night when a train carrying between forty and fifty passengers, which left Gloversville late in the afternoon, was buried in a huge snow drift in the Sammonsville cut, in spite of the fact that the train was provided with two engines and a snowplow.

                                               The passengers and train crew were forced to remain all night in the two passenger coaches without food or drink and did not receive relief until nearly noon yesterday.

                                               Efforts to reach the snowbound train Saturday night with two engines failed when these locomotives also became stalled.  Yesterday morning a relief train carrying food and drink was sent from Gloversville, accompanied by a large gang of shovelers from the two cities.

                                               Real trouble cropped up on the northern branch of the steam division last night when the engine attached to one car which left Northville yesterday afternoon for this city with a gang of shovelers was derailed at Dennie’s crossing and went into the ditch.  Another engine and tool car was sent to the scene, but the derailed engine was still off the tracks at an early hour this morning.  The Broadalbin branch is also completely blocked.

                                               A general paralization of all traffic on the electric lines of the company prevailed yesterday, not only in the Glove cities, but also in Amsterdam and the line from that city to Schenectady.  Service on the main line beyond Johnstown, the Local line, the Belt and the Fonda division was at a standstill.  However, one limited car managed to operate, about every hour between the Glove cities during the day.

                                               Late last night a steam train which had left for Fonda early in the evening returned to this city, having made the round trip.  Contact with Fonda will be maintained today either on the electric or steam division, according to a statement by General Manager Collins at midnight last night.

                                               Steam Train Stalled in Cut.  The first real trouble on the steam division developed Saturday afternoon when a passenger train which left the city about 4 o’clock, became stalled in the huge snow drifts in the Sammonsville cut, about three miles from Fonda.  The train, carrying about forty passengers from Gloversville and Johnstown, consisted of two coaches, two engines and a snowplow.

                                               No serious difficulty was encountered until the train arrived at the deep cut, when, in spite of the down grade, further progress became impossible, although repeated efforts were made by the two engine crews to force the plow through the compact drifts which blocked the tracks.

                                               A still wind was blowing at the time, and the tracks in the rear of the train rapidly filled with snow, completely pocketing the train.  The passengers were confronted y a serious problem and the prospect of spending the night in the cut without, food or water was not altogether pleasant.  Members of the Gloversville State league basketball team, enroute to Utica, were among the passengers.

                                               Some consternation was caused among the women by the presence of Floyd Stock of this city, who recently became demented, and was in custody of an officer from the Utica State hospital.  Nothing unpleasant occurred however, and Stock and his attendant left the train and walked to Fonda yesterday morning.

                                               Relief Train to the Rescue.  When word was received by Superintendent William H. Dailey Saturday night of the plight of the snow-bound train, he immediately sent two more engines to the scene.  These suffered a like fate, and only succeeded in getting within a mile of the stalled train when they were halted.  Further progress was impossible, and the engines remained fastened in the snow banks until a relief train arrived yesterday.

                                               After strenuous efforts the engines were extricated, and accompanied by the second train reached here about 10:30 yesterday morning, both crews exhausted and hungry from their night of toll in the cold, merciless wind.  Meanwhile the crew of the train stalled in the Sammonsville cut labored untiringly to make the passengers comfortable throughout the night.

                                               Without Food, Fuel, or Water.  During the early morning hours the supply of fuel and water for the two locomotives became low, and with the forty passengers without food or water, the situation was far from encouraging.  It became apparent that something would have to be done soon or actual suffering would result.  As hour after hour passed, with the wind whistling about the coaches and no prospect of relief, many became anxious and sleep was practically out of the question.

                                               About 6 o’clock yesterday morning, Superintendent Dailey called Fire Chief Maxson, and informed him of the critical situation, asking him if he would secure volunteer help to go to the assistance of the snowbound train.  Chief Maxson immediately got in touch with Chief of Police George R. Smith, and explained matters.

                                               Volunteers to the Rescue. – A small army of volunteers, consisting of practically the entire day for the Police department, a number of paid firemen, and employees from the Street department was mobilized in a short time and reported at the steam station ready to entrain for the scene of the blockage.  This force, swelled by volunteers from Johnstown, numbered fifty.

                                               The relief train left Gloversville about 9 o’clock yesterday morning.  When it arrived at Johnstown it met the other relief train which had been sent out the night before with two engines.  A number of passengers from the stalled train who had walked back to the second train were aboard, the first of the snow-bound passengers to arrive in Johnstown.

                                               Food and Water by Snowshoe Route. -  While strenuous efforts were being made by the railroad officials in conjunction heads of the municipal departments to send relief, residents living in the vicinity of the cut where the train was stalled were appealed to furnish food and water to the passengers.  An immediate response was made, and these necessities were carried to the train by men on snowshoes.  However, the supply of food and water was not fully adequate to meet the needs of the famished passengers, but it helped out considerably, and was thoroughly appreciated.

                                               In the meantime the relief train with its augmented crew of volunteer help from Johnstown, pushed out for Sammonsville.  While it battled with the banks of snow which blocked the track at various points, the crews of the engines of the stalled train worked desperately to keep up steam.  With fuel in the tender exhausted, it became necessary to burn railroad ties, a pile of these having been discovered along the tracks.  When the water in the tanks in the tenders of the engines became dangerously low, a large force of men set to work shoveling snow into the banks.  This was kept up for several hours, the men working in shifts, to relieve those who became exhausted.

                                               Relief Reaches Stalled Train. – The relief train reached the stalled train early yesterday afternoon and the work of cutting through the huge banks of snow began in earnest.  The track in the rear of the train for two hundred feet was covered with several feet of snow; the snowplow at the head of the train was practically buried, while on both sides of the cut were veritable mountains of snow.

                                               The appearance of the relief train was a welcome sight to the snowbound passengers.  A large quantity of food was on board the relief train and this was soon placed at the disposal of the hungry men and women and the train crew who made quick work of the edibles.

                                               With the removal of intervening drifts, the passengers who remained on the two cars were transferred to the relief train and taken back to Johnstown.

                                               Central Plow to the Rescue. – The task of clearing the tracks in front of the stalled train was a stupendous one.  The snow had sifted under and about the cars until the trucks were hardly visible and the work of shoveling out the train was pushed vigorously throughout the day.

                                               While the shovelers worked on the north end of the cut, the New York Central railroad sent a large snowplow and an engine down from Utica in the morning, brining along a large gang of shovelers who attacked the lower end of the cut and had it not been for this assistance, it is doubtful whether the track could have been opened last night.

                                               By strenuous work the huge banks of snow were broken through and about 4 o’clock yesterday afternoon the stalled train was extricated and started for Gloversville but owing to encountering frequent drifts it did not reach here until early last evening.

                                               Macbeth Will Not Forget Gloversville. – With the tracks cleared for the first time since Saturday afternoon a train left the Gloversville steam station last night shortly after 0o’clock for Fonda.  On the train was Miss  Florence Macbeth, the celebrated soprano soloist who sang at the Philharmonic concert yesterday afternoon.  It is certain that  Miss Macbeth will not soon forget her visit to Gloversville, and her expe5rience in getting to this city from Fonda will stand out prominently among the incidents of her career.

                                               Miss Macbeth sang in Boston Saturday night. She left Boston to fill her engagement here Saturday night at 11 o’clock arriving at Fonda yesterday morning about 10 o’clock.  Lewarning that the storm had completely cut off Gloversville from the outside world, Miss Macbeth immediately set about securing a conveyance to bring her to the city in time for the concert.  A sleigh was secured at Schuyler’s livery and the long hard trip over the snow chocked roads was commenced.  That the trip was an arduous one can be gained from the fact that Miss Macbeth did not arrive in this city until 3:15 just fifteen minutes after the concert was scheduled to commence.

                                               It is likely that traffic on the Fonda steam road will be maintained today, unless the wind set in again.

                                               Northfield Division also Tied Up - That the troubles of the local railroad company were not confined to any one section was evident last night when an engine and one car which had started from Northville early in the afternoon was derailed at Dennie’s crossing about 3:30.

                                               This was the only attempt to move a train on this section of the road since Saturday night when a train from Broadalbin, with two engines attached arrived in the city several hours late, only a few trains having been moved over the Northville division at irregular periods during the day.

                                               The engine and one car was accompanied with a gang of shovelers from Northville several bad drifts were encountered, nothing serious occurred until Dennie’s crossing was reached.

                                               Engine Nearly Topples Over. – An accumulation of ice where the state highway crossed the car tracks caused the engine, which was proceeding slowly, to leave the tracks, the car for the workmen remaining on the rails.  Had the engine gone but a short distance more it would have toppled over, as it was tipping at a sharp angle when it stopped in the ditch.

                                               Efforts to send an engine and tool car with jacks to place the engine back on the tracks was made at 5:45, but proved fruitless as the engine was unable to make the North Main Street crossing on account of the accumulation of ice.  The engine returned and a gang of men was sent to the Kingsboro Avenue and North Main street crossings to remove the ice.

                                               Late last night the relief train reached the derailed engine and it was hoped that it would be on the rails early this morning.  Some of the shovelers who accompanied the train from Northville, came on to this city after the derailment at the crossing.

                                               The Broadalbin branch is completely snowed under and it is doubtful whether a train will be run today over that line.

                                               Trouble Started Friday Night. – General Manager W. H. Collins in talking to a Morning Herald reporter yesterday afternoon of conditions on he various division, stated that trouble on the electric lines commenced Friday night following the drop in the temperature. Slush covering the tracks from the snow and rain, which fell during the day, started freezing and schedules on all lines became irregular.  All cars on the interurban line arrived in the city from an hour to an hour and a half late.

                              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                              From: akeller1979@...
                              Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 00:58:28 -0600

                              Do we not have images of this event?

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 17, 2007
                                Speaking of nasty weather and Ira Barnes; anyone who knew him also knew he
                                loved shooting steam in cold weather. His images of the steam engines
                                encrusted with ice on the Broadalbin line were among his favorites. One
                                day I asked him if he enjoyed taking those pictures, and his response was,
                                "I froze my a-- off!"

                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 17, 2007
                                  I'd like to see pictures of that!  What do they use for a plow?  What is the
                                  status of the DO plow at Utica?

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 17, 2007
                                    There were some awesome pictures that some of the railfans got. We pushed alot of heavy snow!Not sure about the plow in Utica. Isnt that the one that was set afire?Mark

[...]

                                    Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
                                    in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
                                  • Mark Wilber
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 17, 2007
                                      Gino- I read our Suzy-groups,they are saying that there is 38" of snow with 7 foot drifts in some places on the Utica line. No attempt of plowing yet! Mark

[...]

                                      in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
                                      to find your fit.
                                    • n2chi
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 18, 2007
                                        Hi,
                                        What's a suzy-group?
                                        Thanks,
                                        Dave

                                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@...> wrote:

                                        > Gino- I read our Suzy-groups,they are saying that there is 38" of
                                        snow with 7 foot drifts in some places on the Utica line. No attempt
                                        of plowing yet! Mark

                                        Yahoo! Games.

                                      • Mark Wilber
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 19, 2007
                                          Its the susquehanna@yahoogroups.com  for the NYSW Railroad.Mark

                                          > Gino- I read our Suzy-groups, they are saying that there is 38" of
                                          snow with 7 foot drifts in some places on the Utica line. No attempt
                                          of plowing yet! Mark

                                          Yahoo! Games.
                                          > http://videogames. yahoo.com/ platform? platform= 120121

                                          It's here! Your new message!
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 19, 2007
                                            The NYS&W group on Yahoo.  Also refered to as the Suzy-Q...

                                            Gino

                                            Yahoo! Games.

                                            www.ginosrailpage.com
                                            www.fjgrr.org
                                          • Mark Wilber
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 19, 2007
                                              Gino-There are two of them,the NYSW group and the Susquehanna group.I belong to the Susquehanna group,Tim is the moderator.Mark