FJ&G on MSTS

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6 7:52 AM
      Hi All,

      Seeing as I have no room for a real FJ&G layout I've started to
      seriously consider drawing the FJ&G in MicroSoft Train Sim. I've talked
      to Gino about the idea and he's mentioned this to Toby Schwartzman.
      Toby has drawn a set of Thrall boxcars in CACV and FJ&G and has the
      beginnings of FJ&G 20 in the works. I'm just starting to learn how to
      create things in MSTS, just in time for MicroSoft to announce they are
      coming out with version 2 of the program and have not let anyone know if
      the original files will work in the new version.

      I still think this is a good idea, I have plenty of space on my hard
      drive to operate a complete version of the FJ&G compared to not having
      space for a cramped model railroad.

      Toby asked the other day what era the MSTS version should be. I thought
      about it and with the limitations of the current train sim, I started
      thinking the Penn Central years. In MSTS you can have to computer run
      trains that you set up when you create activities to simulate. You can
      use these for passing trains and set up meets but you can't get the
      computer to, let's say, set out a cut of cars at the interchange. You
      could set up the Broadalbin mixed to return to Gloversville but after
      the train stops it would disappear. My thoughts about setting the era
      to the late '60s or early '70s would that the FJ&G would pretty much
      operate as a one crew railroad and therefore the only computer
      controlled trains would be the PC run-through trains that would be sort
      of neat to see as you make up your train in Fonda.

      If anyone has any thought about this I'd sure like to hear them.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6 8:47 AM
        Make sure that your train simulator includes the low joint at the Rt 29
        grade crossing next to the laudromat where I can watch the rails move just
        like back when I was a wee lad accompanying my Mom into town.

        >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G on MSTS
        >Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:52:41 -0500
        >
        >Hi All,
        >
        >Seeing as I have no room for a real FJ&G layout I've started to
        >seriously consider drawing the FJ&G in MicroSoft Train Sim. I've talked
        >to Gino about the idea and he's mentioned this to Toby Schwartzman.
        >Toby has drawn a set of Thrall boxcars in CACV and FJ&G and has the
        >beginnings of FJ&G 20 in the works. I'm just starting to learn how to
        >create things in MSTS, just in time for MicroSoft to announce they are
        >coming out with version 2 of the program and have not let anyone know if
        >the original files will work in the new version.
        >
        >I still think this is a good idea, I have plenty of space on my hard
        >drive to operate a complete version of the FJ&G compared to not having
        >space for a cramped model railroad.
        >
        >Toby asked the other day what era the MSTS version should be. I thought
        >about it and with the limitations of the current train sim, I started
        >thinking the Penn Central years. In MSTS you can have to computer run
        >trains that you set up when you create activities to simulate. You can
        >use these for passing trains and set up meets but you can't get the
        >computer to, let's say, set out a cut of cars at the interchange. You
        >could set up the Broadalbin mixed to return to Gloversville but after
        >the train stops it would disappear. My thoughts about setting the era
        >to the late '60s or early '70s would that the FJ&G would pretty much
        >operate as a one crew railroad and therefore the only computer
        >controlled trains would be the PC run-through trains that would be sort
        >of neat to see as you make up your train in Fonda.
        >
        >If anyone has any thought about this I'd sure like to hear them.
        >
        >Paul :-)

        something more.
        http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6 9:39 AM
          Well Joe,

          I'm not sure how MicroSoft handles joints but there should be some
          provision for a '70s simulator!

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6 9:57 AM
            I'd say that every crossing did that!  I was always fascinated how much the rail went
            up and down near Foster Ave.  I swear that there were spots that the ties would come
            up and then go back down into the road bed.  Great stuff!  I miss the railroad!

            Gino

            href="mailto:p.charlie%40sympatico.ca">p.charlie@sympatico .ca>
            >To:
            FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
            >Subject:
            [FJGRailroad] FJ&G on MSTS
            >Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:52:41
            -0500

            >Hi All,
            >
            >Seeing as I have no room for a real
            FJ&G layout I've started to
            >seriously consider drawing the FJ&G
            in MicroSoft Train Sim. I've talked
            >to Gino about the idea and he's
            mentioned this to Toby Schwartzman.
            >Toby has drawn a set of Thrall
            boxcars in CACV and FJ&G and has the
            >beginnings of FJ&G 20 in the
            works. I'm just starting to learn how to
            >create things in MSTS, just in
            time for MicroSoft to announce they are
            >coming out with version 2 of the
            program and have not let anyone know if
            >the original files will work in
            the new version.

            >I still think this is a good idea, I have plenty
            of space on my hard
            >drive to operate a complete version of the FJ&G
            compared to not having
            >space for a cramped model
            railroad.

            >Toby asked the other day what era the MSTS version
            should be. I thought
            >about it and with the limitations of the current
            train sim, I started
            >thinking the Penn Central years. In MSTS you can
            have to computer run
            >trains that you set up when you create activities to
            simulate. You can
            >use these for passing trains and set up meets but you
            can't get the
            >computer to, let's say, set out a cut of cars at the
            interchange. You
            >could set up the Broadalbin mixed to return to
            Gloversville but after
            >the train stops it would disappear. My thoughts
            about setting the era
            >to the late '60s or early '70s would that the
            FJ&G would pretty much
            >operate as a one crew railroad and therefore
            the only computer
            >controlled trains would be the PC run-through trains
            that would be sort
            >of neat to see as you make up your train in
            Fonda.

            >If anyone has any thought about this I'd sure like to hear
            them.

            >Paul
            :-)

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6 11:24 AM
              We could call it That 70's show!

              http://get.live.com/messenger/overview
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6 11:43 AM
                They handle a lot of joints on that show!