Re: [FJGRailroad] From The Archives

    Message 1 of 87 , Jan 15, 2007
      The D&H routing would make more sense, as it was probably cheaper than the
      River Line.

      The NYSW didn't take ownership of the Utica or Syracuse branches until
      1982. The question is whether Conrail ran entire trains on those lines as
      far back as 1977 --- I believe the answer was no. There were middle
      segments in both the Utica and Syracuse branches that were out of service
      when the NYS&W takeover happened. The question is how far back those
      middle sections were out of service.

      Maybe Doug Ellison or one of the other guys who grew up down that way would
      know.

      Message 87 of 87 , Mar 24, 2009
        My kids said, "Dad are you going to have a fire tonight? It is spring! Yes but it will be cold tonight" I replied.

        And with that, while rummaging around the archives, I found a copy of PC RAILROADER July-August 1975. On page 4 there is a photo of FJG 153998 with the following caption, "The Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville located off the Mohawk Division in Amsterdam, New York acquired 100 40' and 138 50' box cars from Penn Central. photo by the editor - Joe Klapkowski

        I know the caption is inaccurate. I did not write it.  This was way before the days of the internet and common information. To have a by- line back then at the ripe old age of 15 was, well, pretty cool.

        Internet Explorer 8 – Now Available. Faster, safer, easier. Download FREE now!