Re: [FJGRailroad] Article about Schenectady

  • Skip Barber
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2007
      My mother and father met at the elevator at Barneys.  Dad was an elevator operator.  Probably over 60 years ago.  I grew up in Rotterdam.

      Skip in VA

      Michael Christie <csxhudson@...> wrote:
      I sure do miss Two Guys, Big N and Barney's.  Not to mention Carls...those elevators were awesome!

      On 1/12/07, Gino's Railpage <fjgrailroad@...> wrote:
      1969 does seem to be the catalyst for the end of Schenectady.  I remember 1970 in Schenectady
      and all the great stores and things to do.  Within 2 years, all the great department stores in
      Downtown closed and it also seems to be the time that places like Glenville and Clifton Park
      started to get bigger.  Not only did Schenectady close down, it created the suburbs.

      Gino

      On 1/10/07, Saul Kalbfeld <fjgbus@... > wrote:
      Late Happy New Year Group,
      Here is an interesting article about Schenectady. Discuss.
      Saul

      --
      www.ginosrailpage.com
      www.fjgrr.org

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2007
        The ladies who ran the elevators at Carls were great.  The same two ladies for as long
        as I could remember.  Whenever I smell the purfume that they wore, I instantly think
        of the Carls elevator.  "Goin' up, goin' up!"

        Gino