Re: [FJGRailroad] Spur in 1982

    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2000
      It has been a few different things since. It was BuddyL and then SLM and it
      was vacant until about my Senior year in high school. I have heard that
      someplace bought it and took all the machines out and moved them down south
      or something like that. Is it still vacant? Last I remember when I
      graduated from high school in 1998 it was still vacant.

      From: Saul Kalbfeld <skalbfel@...>
      To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
      Date: Friday, May 05, 2000 6:00 PM
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Spur in 1982

      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2000
        Hi Saul,

        How about those Leafs!

        Back in the early '80, Coleco had a big hit with Cabbage Patch Kids, then
        entered the home entertainment market with Coleco-Vision. Coleco-Vision was
        a good product, and could have easily competed with Atari and Mattel, but
        Coleco tied their product up with the promise of a home computer named
        Adam. Coleco promised customers that 'by next Christmas' they would have a
        64K computer that would plug into Coleco-Vision, sinking nearly all of the
        company's resources into R&D. In a rush to get Adam on the market before
        Christmas, they produced a computer with a few significant bugs. When work
        spread about the bugs, sales disappeared, and Coleco Industries filed for
        bankruptcy shortly after Christmas.

        Paul

        Saul Kalbfeld wrote:

        > Sounds like they were desperate, building that spur only 2 years
        > before operations ended. What was happening with Coleco at that time,
        > actually, what's in the original Coleco building now?
        > Saul

        > Get your money connected @ OnMoney.com - the first Web site that lets
        > you see and manage all of your finances all in one place.

      • DICARLO, GINO
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2000
          Saul,

          Coleco was shipping their Adam Computers and Coleco vision game consoles
          out of the Patch Road Plant. (Broadalbin Junction) The FJG (DO) was
          keeping their engine up there from 83 on because someone started a fire
          in the cab when it was parked by the freight house. Speaking of fires,
          someone set one of the DO boxcars located at Patch Road on fire one
          Saturday afternoon, but the car was way in the woods and the Fire Dept
          couldnt get to it. A train crew had to come up and pull the cars out
          of the woods. As for Coleco, the plant that was on Lincoln Street
          didn't have rail service at the time of the abandonment. I know the
          Amsterdam Main plant was shipping on the AC&N in the 80s.