More on Schenectady

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2007
      Other mid size cities in the "Rust Belt" have suffered the same fate. Here in Michigan, Flint has lost most of GM, in Youngstown, OH, where my wife's family is from, the steel mills are gone, Gary, IN has also lost steel, and on a smaller scale, our own beloved Gloversville and Johnstown, long ago lost the glove and leather industry. I read recently that Youngstown has made somewhat of a comeback, much smaller and after decades of brownfield cleanup and with jobs that don't come close to a steelworker's wages. We are moving away from an economic model where people use their hands and back, and brains to make things.

      Sorry about those Jets and Giants you NY football fans. Here in Lionland we have been beyond the pale for decades.
      Regards,
      Saul
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2007
        The Jets and Giants play in Jersey!  Only the Bills play in New York!

        Ha Ha!

        Gino

        --
        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2007

           The article is really about the condition of the United States and Canada, we in the Northeast and the former "Empire State" see and feel it the most because we had the majority of great paying industrial jobs.  Greedy employees, greedy unions, greedy management, greedy stockholders, and greedy politicians have caused the migration of our industry first to the south and then to the new frontier of undeveloped countries.

          Manufacturing has been given to the third world.  There are lower taxes, weaker and non existent unions, lower wages, no rising health care and retirement costs, no environmental rules to follow, and the lowest wages on the planet.  Let's face the facts, if our elected officials do not reform current trade agreements and immigration issues, U.S. and Canadians will have to work a lot harder for a lot less.

          The mills of the Northeast moved to the southern states to take advantage of lower wages and lower taxes, but now they are in China, Pakistan, Mexico, India.  Southern California has dried up, even Atlanta is losing its Ford plant.  The population shift from the Northeast to the south is still not resulting in the high paying jobs and great retirements that our fathers had from the GM, GE, IBM's in our area.

          One safe area will probably always be the Northern Virginia, Washington, DC area since our federal government is there and they will always need someone to rub their backs and shine their shoes.

             Steve

          On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:23:26 -0500 "Saul Kalbfeld" <fjgbus@...> writes:
          .