Re: [FJGRailroad] Article about Schenectady

  • Gerald Snyder
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
      Interesting story and all too true - I see it every
      day, and Amsterdam is worse. Bechtel moving out of
      Schenectady is a relatively small loss (except for
      those of us that work there) compared to GE or ALCO,
      but it's still a direct $30 million payroll loss. And
      wait until KAPL goes to Pittsburgh too and takes its
      2300 jobs out of the area.
      Jerry

      http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/070107/15upstate.htm

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 12, 2007
        1969 does seem to be the catalyst for the end of Schenectady.  I remember 1970 in Schenectady
        and all the great stores and things to do.  Within 2 years, all the great department stores in
        Downtown closed and it also seems to be the time that places like Glenville and Clifton Park
        started to get bigger.  Not only did Schenectady close down, it created the suburbs.

        Gino

        --
        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 14, 2007
                The ladies who ran the elevators at Carls were great.  The same two ladies for as long
                as I could remember.  Whenever I smell the purfume that they wore, I instantly think
                of the Carls elevator.  "Goin' up, goin' up!"

                Gino