Article about Schenectady

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
      Late Happy New Year Group,
      Here is an interesting article about Schenectady. Discuss.
      Saul

    • Gerald Snyder
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
        Interesting story and all too true - I see it every
        day, and Amsterdam is worse. Bechtel moving out of
        Schenectady is a relatively small loss (except for
        those of us that work there) compared to GE or ALCO,
        but it's still a direct $30 million payroll loss. And
        wait until KAPL goes to Pittsburgh too and takes its
        2300 jobs out of the area.
        Jerry

        http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/070107/15upstate.htm

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2007
          1969 does seem to be the catalyst for the end of Schenectady.  I remember 1970 in Schenectady
          and all the great stores and things to do.  Within 2 years, all the great department stores in
          Downtown closed and it also seems to be the time that places like Glenville and Clifton Park
          started to get bigger.  Not only did Schenectady close down, it created the suburbs.

          Gino

          --
          www.ginosrailpage.com
          www.fjgrr.org

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 14, 2007
                  The ladies who ran the elevators at Carls were great.  The same two ladies for as long
                  as I could remember.  Whenever I smell the purfume that they wore, I instantly think
                  of the Carls elevator.  "Goin' up, goin' up!"

                  Gino