Re: [FJGRailroad] Tell Me More

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2000
      There was an Omncology lab that was there and I was told by one
      of Engine 100's engineers that that place was the big shipper in
      the end, besides Coleco. He told me that they tried everything
      they could to keep the FJG open as far as that industrial park.
      This engineer told me that business was enough from that place
      that they could have run a train there 2 times a week and pay
      operating expenses. I don't know about that. This engineer had
      big dreams of keeping the FJG open himself with some other DO
      employees. He used to keep me updated on how his efforts were
      going, but the rest is history. That spur line was the best
      looking piece of rail that I've ever seen on the FJG. What a
      waste that it was only used for about 2 years. I just dug up an
      article from The Leader from 1986. It says that spur was built
      with money from the (PGDC) Promote Gloversville Development
      Corporation for the Omnicology Fertilizer Plant. It was built
      in 1982 by the DO for $25,000. The PGDC only paid $9,000
      towards it when the line went out of business. The PGDC was
      sued by the DO in 1986 and they came up with the extra $16,348.

      Gino