Schenectady & Margaretville Railroad

  • Stephen G. Myers
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2006

      Does anyone have any knowledge of the S&M Railway coming off of the B&M at Scotia New York at the turn of the century?

          Steve

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2006
        THe S&M was a proposed and partially built line connecting the two named places but further was a plan to compete with the NYO&W and D&H in bringing coal to the New England market.  You will find a chapter on this line in John Ham and Robert K. Bucenec's book "Rails Along the East Branch.  Credit for the historical information is given to Ed Baumgardner, who I believe is/was a member of the FJ&G group, by the authors.

        This book and they're other two books on Catskill Mountain railroads are valuable resources for the serious fan of the region.  I can give you John's contact info if anyone is interested.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: Knixrule1@...
        Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 14:03:32 -0500
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Schenectady & Margaretville Railroad

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2006
          What towns did the railroad actually serve (in reality)?

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 10, 2006
            If you look at the map the route ran in a relatively straight line.  All the towns up the Schoharie valley were listed but none were ever actually served as the railroad only got into the construction stage.  THe book has photos of construction locomotives on the roadbed.

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: akeller1979@...
            Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 00:29:29 -0600