From the Archives - Schenectady Locomotive Works

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2006
      Awhile back, I acquired a whole bunch of paper builder's photos. These
      measure 16 x 4 1/2 and were printed by the Lithotype Print Co., 111 Nassua
      Street ,N.Y.

      There must be 25 photos here some with road names that I can not figure out
      like the handsome photo of JSA&HR 4-4-0 passenger engine (Jacksonville St.
      Aug & Halifax River? This line is listed as a 3 foot gauge in Edson,
      Railroad Names). This engne had a tractive effort of 1,234 lbs on a level
      with 63" drivers. The Tender had a tank capacity of 2500 gallons.

      Another neat picture is of FE&MVR (Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley later
      part of CNW) #208, a brawny looking 4-8-0 with 37 inch drivers, a tractive
      effort of 1,994 and a tank capacity of 2100 gallons.

      There is also a photo of NYC&HRRR #94 a six wheel switching locomotive with
      a tractive effort of 3,594 and 51 inch drivers.

      My favorite in the collection has to be of # 31, a 4-4-0 of the Rochester &
      Lake Ontario Railway Company which looks like an inspection engine. However
      the description notes that this is an eight wheel Forney locomotive for
      Suburban and Street Railway Traffic. This engine had 43 inch drivers and
      tractive effort of 1,118 with the rear tank holding 700 gallons (no tender).
      There are cow catchers at both ends and the largest builders plate I have
      ever seen on the side of the exposed boiler ahead of the carbody and a huge
      boxy headlight that sits on a platform ahead of the number plate on the
      nose. Since this is a photo of only one side of the engine, I can not tell
      you for sure, but it appears that there is only one way to climb aboard,
      that being from the front of the engine. There are seven large windows along
      the carbody. There are headlights forward and rear. By the way this is the
      ONLY engine that is listed as burning anthracite.

      Now having said all this I have finally come to the part that I get a little
      confused about that actually started me think about this while I wa
      rummagging around in the archives. There are four photos of Adirondack & St.
      Lawrence Ry Co. engines. Is this the Adirondack Railroad that became part of
      the D&H or part of the RW&O or other later NYC lines ?

      Anyway the details are as follows:

      #1, 0-4-0 with 51 inch drivers and 2328 tractive effort with an eight wheel
      sloping tender that has a capacity of 2,250 gallons and headlights front and
      rear.

      Next are #11 and 12 but they are not identical.

      # 11 is a 4-4-0 and has 70 inch drivers, 1,472 TE and a tender with a 3600
      gallon capacity.

      # 12 is also a 4-4-0 with 64 inch drivers, 1,668 TE and a tender with 3200
      gallon capacity.

      Question - Is the Tender capacity an indictaion of whether or not the engine
      is a road engine ?

      Last is #33 another brawny looking 4-6-0 with 57 inch drivers, 2,670 TE and
      a tender with 3,600 gallon capacity.

      Now it is time to watch the second half of the GIANTS
      game.......................Oh I almost forgot, What's in your
      archives????????????????

      Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends
      list.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2006
        Hi Joe,

        The Adirondack and St. Lawrence became NYC's Adirondack Division from
        Utica/Herkimer to Lake Placid and Ottawa. A bit of their history is at:

        http://adirondackalmanack.blogspot.com/2006/09/new-york-central-rr-adirondack-and-st.html

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2006
          Thanks Paul.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27, 2006
            Hello Joe,

            Was going to do a check the easy way from the ALCO files copied from the
            Schen. Hist. Soc but the first several pages were either misplaced or not
            copied??? so I did it another way:

            The locomotive numbers and wheel arrangements match those owned by the A&StL
            but not the driving wheel diameter, except for No. 1. Let me give you the
            builders numbers to see if they correspond with those on the photos.
            Rebuilding could have resulted in altered wheel diameters.

            Not sure, off the top of my head, what other road would have used the A&StL
            initials.

            1 - CN# 3510; Blt. 1891
            11 - CN# 3593; Blt. 1892
            12 - CN# 3512; Blt. 1891
            33 - CN# 3723; Blt. 1892

            Each of these locomotives eventually saw service under CV, Rutland and NYCL
            after there time on the A&StL. My guess this later service was in upstate
            NY during the periods those other roads had their turn with what was the
            O&LC. H. Walter Webb, builder of the A&StL, allegedly to the chagrin of
            his father in law who had just acquired control of the RW&O, was a frequent
            visitor to the FJ&G during 1892 and 1893.

            The D&H connection confused me a bit because you mentioned the RW&O. The
            D&H inherited two railroads from the NY&OM in 1875, connecting to the RW&O
            but not in the Adirondacks. It was the line that became the DL&W's lines
            to Utica and Rome - Rome and Clinton and the Utica, Clinton and Binghamton.
            The Adirondack RR on the other hand, and other side of the mountains, was
            always the Adirondack until absorbed into the D&H. The A&St.L ran north
            from Herkimer, always allied with the NYC, never RW&O.. To the best of my
            knowledge the only connection A&StL had with any D&H lines was near Saranac
            Lake.

            Sources: "A Century of Progress: The History of the D&H Co."
            Henry Harter's, " Fairy Tale Railroad"

            Does that help or create more questions.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 28, 2006
              You created some clarity. The name Adirondack & st. lawrence was spelled out
              on the tender. No doubt about the name. My confusion was whether the
              Adirondack railroad was the same as the Adirondack & St. Lawrence..... can
              not account for the wheel diameter discrepancy....