Re: [FJGRailroad] Trolley Tracks

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
      I don't have any shots of the FJ&G constucting their street-running-trolley
      lines, but I've a couple for the SRC.  They definately built it with ties and
      some sort of ballast and then put brick or dirt around it.  I don't think the
      pavement came for a while.

      Gino

      On 11/10/06, Aaron Keller <akeller1979@...> wrote:

      The tracks are still there under parts of north Main St. in Gloversville,
      and also on Main St. in Amsterdam. Road construction projects within the
      last five years in both places confirmed.

      Here is the next question: do trolley tracks in the middle of the street
      carry a different substructure than a normal freight line? Or, is it just
      ballast, ties, and rails, with pavement on top of that?

      www.ginosrailpage.com
      www.fjgrr.org
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
        A few years ago they repaved Rte. 30 through Amsterdam (the old part of
        Main St. that they didn't tear out during Urban Renewal). The trolley
        tracks are all still there. I didn't take any pictures, though... sorry.
        I think it may have happened while I was in college.

        Construction work on North Main St. in Gloversville also involved the
        tearing-up of some of the street between the Cumberland Farms and the post
        office. Tracks were revealed there as well.

        In both cases, I believe the tracks were laid even with the old paving
        stones. It would be a mess to tear all that stuff up.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
          Aaron,

          A few years ago, Paul Larner and myself were exploring Amsterdam and we noticed a piece of
          track behind a gas-station on Market Street Hill.  This track was the lead to the Bunn Trestle
          Trolley Bridge.  The next year when I went back with a camera, it was paved over!

          Gino