Re: [FJGRailroad] Trolley Tracks

  • Gino DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
      There's some tracks left in front of the old trolley
      barn on Division, right? They were there when we
      searched Amsterdam for an old get-together. I'm sure
      they could have been paved over since...

      Gino

      Sponsored Link

      $200,000 mortgage for $660/ mo -
      30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt -
      http://yahoo.ratemarketplace.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
        I don't have any shots of the FJ&G constucting their street-running-trolley
        lines, but I've a couple for the SRC.  They definately built it with ties and
        some sort of ballast and then put brick or dirt around it.  I don't think the
        pavement came for a while.

        Gino

        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
          A few years ago they repaved Rte. 30 through Amsterdam (the old part of
          Main St. that they didn't tear out during Urban Renewal). The trolley
          tracks are all still there. I didn't take any pictures, though... sorry.
          I think it may have happened while I was in college.

          Construction work on North Main St. in Gloversville also involved the
          tearing-up of some of the street between the Cumberland Farms and the post
          office. Tracks were revealed there as well.

          In both cases, I believe the tracks were laid even with the old paving
          stones. It would be a mess to tear all that stuff up.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
            Aaron,

            A few years ago, Paul Larner and myself were exploring Amsterdam and we noticed a piece of
            track behind a gas-station on Market Street Hill.  This track was the lead to the Bunn Trestle
            Trolley Bridge.  The next year when I went back with a camera, it was paved over!

            Gino