Re: [FJGRailroad] Trolley Tracks

  • Gerald Snyder
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
      I'm not sure about main St., but up until late this
      summer I thought the only remaining trolley tracks in
      Amsterdam streets were the ones still on the surface
      at the Rockton Wye. Then I noticed a series of narrow
      holes in the surface of Division Street in from of the
      First Niagara (Amsterdam Savings) Bank building. Sure
      enough, about 4-5 inches below the street surface,
      there were the tracks. I don't know how far they
      extend, but there's at least some still buried under
      there. Back in the early 1970's when they put in the
      new Rt. 30 bridge, I watched them raze the old River
      Street bridge. Buried in what was left of the
      pavement and bridge deck were the installed but never
      connected trolley tracks for the planned line to the
      south side of the city.
      Jerry
      --- Aaron Keller <akeller1979@...> wrote:

      > The tracks are still there under parts of north Main
      > St. in Gloversville,
      > and also on Main St. in Amsterdam. Road
      > construction projects within the
      > last five years in both places confirmed.
      >
      > Here is the next question: do trolley tracks in the
      > middle of the street
      > carry a different substructure than a normal freight
      > line? Or, is it just
      > ballast, ties, and rails, with pavement on top of
      > that?
      >
      > -Aaron

      Sponsored Link

      Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
      $510k for $1,698/mo. Calculate new payment!
      www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
    • Gino DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
        There's some tracks left in front of the old trolley
        barn on Division, right? They were there when we
        searched Amsterdam for an old get-together. I'm sure
        they could have been paved over since...

        Gino

        Sponsored Link

        $200,000 mortgage for $660/ mo -
        30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt -
        http://yahoo.ratemarketplace.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
          I don't have any shots of the FJ&G constucting their street-running-trolley
          lines, but I've a couple for the SRC.  They definately built it with ties and
          some sort of ballast and then put brick or dirt around it.  I don't think the
          pavement came for a while.

          Gino

          www.ginosrailpage.com
          www.fjgrr.org
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
            A few years ago they repaved Rte. 30 through Amsterdam (the old part of
            Main St. that they didn't tear out during Urban Renewal). The trolley
            tracks are all still there. I didn't take any pictures, though... sorry.
            I think it may have happened while I was in college.

            Construction work on North Main St. in Gloversville also involved the
            tearing-up of some of the street between the Cumberland Farms and the post
            office. Tracks were revealed there as well.

            In both cases, I believe the tracks were laid even with the old paving
            stones. It would be a mess to tear all that stuff up.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
              Aaron,

              A few years ago, Paul Larner and myself were exploring Amsterdam and we noticed a piece of
              track behind a gas-station on Market Street Hill.  This track was the lead to the Bunn Trestle
              Trolley Bridge.  The next year when I went back with a camera, it was paved over!

              Gino