Re: [FJGRailroad] Rumors

  • Dave Brennan
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 15, 2006
             A while back , Ben Moore paint co. said they would be interested " IF" the tracks were there.                                     Dave

      mwilber2001 <mwilber2001@...> wrote:
      Anyone hear anything about a possibilty of laying track from Fonda to
      the industrial park in Johnstown? I first heard it I thought it was
      just non-sense,but then I heard it from a reliable source.Is there a
      plastic co. nearby the industrial park? Mark

      Sponsored Link

      Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $310,000 Mortgage for $999/mo - Calculate new house payment

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 15, 2006
        Don't get me daydreaming Mark!!!!  The last I heard anything was back in 2000 when
        Benjamin Moore said they wanted rail service.  Of course, they want the state to pay
        for it and the chances of them re-building the FJ&G from Fonda to Johnstown is slim
        to none.  Paul Larner says the High-Bridge would never hold an engine these days, even
        though he begged me to drive my SUV over it!  (Yes, my SUV and a diesel engine
        are in TWO, totally different weight classes!!!)

        I've never heard of a plastic plant being in the industrial park!  Don't forget, the industrial
        plant is beyond the Walmart Distribution Center which was planted smack dab in the
        middle of the ROW!!!!  I can't imagine the logistics of re-building around that place!
        The ROW is in pretty good shape, running a track up probably wouldn't be too difficult,
        but the High-Bridge and Walmart present more problems!

        The last I remember, the County was really itchy to pave the Bike Trail down to Fonda.
        Anyone have any current info on that?

        Gino

        --
        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 15, 2006
          The track materials are in gondolas in Fonda Yard. The relay rail is coming
          from Amtrak's plant in Delaware on the 30th. The plan is to run the train up
          the Harrisburgh Buffalo main so it will be facing the right direction when
          it gets to Fonda. Hulcher will be on hand to pull the rail off the train at
          Fonda. Adirondack Power and Light will provide the power for the overhead
          catenary system which will be installed after the track has been relaid. An
          NJT E-60 will be the sole power until negotiations can be completed with
          NdeM to get the operable PA out of the museum in Nogales.
          The original FJ&G 44 tonner has been purchased from the Associated Feed
          Mills in Iowa and is already moving east on CSX. The 44 tonner will be used
          for switching moves and will also have an electrical cabinet installed so
          that it may be used on the main. I(n addition the Mohawk Hudson chapter has
          agreed to lease the last T motor to the railroad. This unit will also be
          converted to AC propulsion.

          The operator is a startup company known as The Fonda and Fultonville
          Electric Railway and will maintain thier world headquarters in Fonda in the
          brick commercial building next to the Canajoharie National Bank Branch.

          And if you believe any of this I have a bridge in Brooklyn you may find of
          interest...............
          >From: Dave Brennan <oldcrab62@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Rumors
          >Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 05:54:42 -0800 (PST)
          >
          > A while back , Ben Moore paint co. said they would be interested "
          >IF" the tracks were there. Dave
          >

          >mwilber2001 <mwilber2001@...> wrote:
          > Anyone hear anything about a possibilty of laying track from
          >Fonda to
          >the industrial park in Johnstown? I first heard it I thought it was
          >just non-sense,but then I heard it from a reliable source.Is there a
          >plastic co. nearby the industrial park? Mark
          >

          >---------------------------------
          >Sponsored Link
          >
          >Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $310,000 Mortgage for $999/mo - Calculate
          >new house payment

          Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with
          Live Search!
          http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline
        • Charles Vosburgh

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 15, 2006
              Like I said the sources came from very high in the rankings of our company. Its nothing for sure,but looking into a possibilty. There were saying that there is a plastic company there now.Mark

              The track materials are in gondolas in Fonda Yard. The relay rail is coming
              from Amtrak's plant in Delaware on the 30th. The plan is to run the train up
              the Harrisburgh Buffalo main so it will be facing the right direction when
              it gets to Fonda. Hulcher will be on hand to pull the rail off the train at
              Fonda. Adirondack Power and Light will provide the power for the overhead
              catenary system which will be installed after the track has been relaid. An
              NJT E-60 will be the sole power until negotiations can be completed with
              NdeM to get the operable PA out of the museum in Nogales.
              The original FJ&G 44 tonner has been purchased from the Associated Feed
              Mills in Iowa and is already moving east on CSX. The 44 tonner will be used
              for switching moves and will also have an electrical cabinet installed so
              that it may be used on the main. I(n addition the Mohawk Hudson chapter has
              agreed to lease the last T motor to the railroad. This unit will also be
              converted to AC propulsion.

              The operator is a startup company known as The Fonda and Fultonville
              Electric Railway and will maintain thier world headquarters in Fonda in the
              brick commercial building next to the Canajoharie National Bank Branch.

              And if you believe any of this I have a bridge in Brooklyn you may find of
              interest.... ......... ..

              >From: Dave Brennan <oldcrab62@yahoo. com>
              >To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
              >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Rumors
              >Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 05:54:42 -0800 (PST)
              >
              > A while back , Ben Moore paint co. said they would be interested "
              >IF" the tracks were there.
              Dave

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 15, 2006
                Gino- This subject was being talked about but I thought it was garbage talk. When I talk to a very high source,I was told they were looking in as a possibility,not definite. Im just passing what I heard.

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 15, 2006
                  Alright, now you've got me daydreaming!

                  Gino

                  --- Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@...> wrote:

                  > Gino- This subject was being talked about but I
                  > thought it was garbage talk. When I talk to a very
                  > high source,I was told they were looking in as a
                  > possibility,not definite. Im just passing what I
                  > heard.

                  $420k for $1,399/mo. Calculate new payment!
                  www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 15, 2006
                    Oh I do not doubt anything at all. But it would have to have significant
                    revenue potential for it to become a reality. I do not think anyone is going
                    to spend a nickle for ten cars a week. Please do not take my little joke
                    personally. I do not know what came over me......

                    Now I remember standing in the gauge at Smoke Rise and advising my friend
                    Bob that there was no way that anyone was ever going to run a train over
                    that track again...................

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 15, 2006
                      This is from Paul.  He wrote me off-group, so I'm forwarding it now...

                      Running a rail line up to the Johnstown industrial park is really not a big
                      stretch.  Million dollars a mile is peanuts for a large corporation if they
                      intend to build a plant and "stay" there.  Wallamrt might consider
                      cooperation if there were some real interest to rebuild from another
                      company.  They could surely find a use for rail.  (They probably already use
                      rail via container of f the ships to Selkirk or Syracuse then by hiway.) Of
                      course all businesses today want the federal government to put up the money
                      - but the Republicans are now out of favor - no more corporate handouts - I
                      would hope.

                      It's the high bridge that will kill the interest.  Replacing that is a big
                      deal.  I would be very surprised it could handle a 143 ton car, the new load
                      standard four four axles.  Bridge 1 at Fonda would need work too but that is
                      negligible compared to bridge 2.

                      Paul

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
                        Joe- When I heard about this talk,I said there is no way that it can be done. Few people said to me,"you saw what we did from Butler to westward.Im very optimistic on this like everyone else.Mark

                        Oh I do not doubt anything at all. But it would have to have significant
                        revenue potential for it to become a reality. I do not think anyone is going
                        to spend a nickle for ten cars a week. Please do not take my little joke
                        personally. I do not know what came over me......

                        Now I remember standing in the gauge at Smoke Rise and advising my friend
                        Bob that there was no way that anyone was ever going to run a train over
                        that track again....... ......... ...

                        >From: Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@ yahoo.com>
                        >To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                        >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Rumors
                        >Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:49:05 -0800 (PST)
                        >
                        >Like I said the
                        sources came from very high in the rankings of our company.
                        >Its nothing for sure,but looking into a possibilty. There were saying that
                        >there is a plastic company there now.Mark

                        http://clk.atdmt. com/MSN/go/ msnnkwme00200000 01msn/direct/ 01/?href= http://get. live.com/ messenger/ overview

                      • Mark Wilber
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
                          In my view I dont see it happening. In the past Ive heard projects that might happen,but probably be lucky if I saw 90% being true. Mark

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
                            I think Paul hit it on the nose about the Republicans being out. With Spitzer coming in, I dont think he would even think about
                            giving us any more money.Mark

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
                              You're right about that Mark!

                              Gino

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
                                You have all heard about the bellhop that got fired for spreading roomers.

                                Mal

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
                                  Am I being accused of spreading rumors? Mark
                                • Mark Wilber
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
                                      I don't think so Mark!  I think you're just telling us what you've heard and that's
                                      got me saying an extra prayer at night!  I've always thought I'd see another
                                      engine cross the High-Bridge and I'm thinking it could happen!  If you hear
                                      anything else, you let us know.  Even if you think someone is full of poop,
                                      just tell us that someone full of poop told you they're rebuilding the FJ&G!!!!

                                      Gino