Re: More Odd thoughts

  • pklarner
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2006
      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@...>
      wrote:

      > As the trolleys from Schenectady approached White Sulphur Springs
      Junction (where the double trackage ended, the Fonda branch joined
      and the single trackage thru Johnstown began) the cars stopped and
      the motorman opened his window and reached out to throw a signal
      switch lever hanging from a wooden box on a telephone pole. There
      were signal lights on this pole. This probably signaled someone
      entering Johnstown from the north that he would meet someone coming
      in the opposite direction if he proceeded. I do not recall ever
      seeing any signal lights at the north end of Johnstown where the
      double trackage between Johnstown and Gloversville ended.

      > Does anyone know where and how the northern signals were located?
      >
      > Malcolm Horton

      Hello Malcolm,

      I am under the impression that the double track extended to
      Johnstown Junction. The Fonda line joined the main at Sulphur
      Springs Junction where a crossover moved the cars to the westbound
      main. Cars were kept apart with a mix of automatic (east of SSJ)
      and manual block signals. The westward signal box at SSJct was at
      the crossover switch. The next signal control box was east of the
      switches at Johnstown Jct. A westward signal was there also with
      the opposing signal for the single track block at the passing track
      in South Perry Street. There was an westward intermediate signal
      east of the passing track. Next block extended to the passenger
      station on S. Market Street.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2006
        I've got some pictures of the signal boxes, I will post them...

        Gino

        --
        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org