More Odd thoughts

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2006
      As the trolleys from Schenectady approached White Sulphur Springs Junction (where the double trackage ended, the Fonda branch joined and the single trackage thru Johnstown began) the cars stopped and the motorman opened his window and reached out to throw a signal switch lever hanging from a wooden box on a telephone pole. There were signal lights on this pole. This probably signaled someone entering Johnstown from the north that he would meet someone coming in the opposite direction if he proceeded. I do not recall ever seeing any signal lights at the north end of Johnstown where the double trackage between Johnstown and Gloversville ended.

      Does anyone know where and how the northern signals were located?

      Malcolm Horton
    • pklarner
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2006
        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@...>
        wrote:

        > As the trolleys from Schenectady approached White Sulphur Springs
        Junction (where the double trackage ended, the Fonda branch joined
        and the single trackage thru Johnstown began) the cars stopped and
        the motorman opened his window and reached out to throw a signal
        switch lever hanging from a wooden box on a telephone pole. There
        were signal lights on this pole. This probably signaled someone
        entering Johnstown from the north that he would meet someone coming
        in the opposite direction if he proceeded. I do not recall ever
        seeing any signal lights at the north end of Johnstown where the
        double trackage between Johnstown and Gloversville ended.

        > Does anyone know where and how the northern signals were located?
        >
        > Malcolm Horton

        Hello Malcolm,

        I am under the impression that the double track extended to
        Johnstown Junction. The Fonda line joined the main at Sulphur
        Springs Junction where a crossover moved the cars to the westbound
        main. Cars were kept apart with a mix of automatic (east of SSJ)
        and manual block signals. The westward signal box at SSJct was at
        the crossover switch. The next signal control box was east of the
        switches at Johnstown Jct. A westward signal was there also with
        the opposing signal for the single track block at the passing track
        in South Perry Street. There was an westward intermediate signal
        east of the passing track. Next block extended to the passenger
        station on S. Market Street.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2006
          I've got some pictures of the signal boxes, I will post them...

          Gino

          --
          www.ginosrailpage.com
          www.fjgrr.org