Re: [FJGRailroad] Odd Thoughts

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 13, 2006
      Was it Wentworth, or some other bakery, that had trucks with an electric transmission? They could drive standing up and the floor of the cab was close to the ground because there was no drive shaft.

      The K & S  bakery on Kingsborough Avenue at Franklin Street had horse drawn bakery wagons with a big gong on the outside on which the driver played a ditty with a ball peen hammer. One driver named Kobuskie also own a neat Packard. .......Malcolm
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 13, 2006
        I call it Perry Street the whole way.  Just like Kingsboro.  There's North and South,
        but it's all Kingsboro.  Also, there's East and West Fulton, but I call it all Fulton.
        There's South Main Street and North Main Street.  I call it all Main Street, get the picture?
        That's what my family calls them too!!!

        Gino

        On 11/11/06, Dave Brennan <oldcrab62@...> wrote:

          Gino,
              Perry st. is south of Gloversville  BUT  it is North Perry in Johnstown.
        Oldcrab.

        Gino's Railpage <fjgrailroad@ gmail.com> wrote:
        Saul,

        There is still a little piece of street track left where Miller Street turned onto
        South Perry.  It curves in the direction of the Fairgrounds Trolley Depot!

        Gino

        On 11/10/06, Saul Kalbfeld <fjgbus@...> wrote:
        The group has been quiet lately, so it is time to try and wake some of you up. I read that the Wentworth Bakery on East Fulton was finally going to be razed. That company has been out of business for at least 40 years, maybe longer. At one time their trucks were common all over the area.

        When the FJ&G got out of the trolley business, some but not all of the street tracks were pulled up. I don't know what were the deciding factors. The tracks in Gloversville were long gone by the time little Saul walked the streets, but they remained in various places, notably in Johnstown on Miller Street and near the Johnstown high school ( ?) where there was a passing track. Miller was in pretty bad shape, the concrete being heaved and cracked. I suppose rebuilding the street would have required removal of the track sub-structure, so the project was deferred long as possible. Of course, the track down the main drag in Amsterdam remained well into the 1960's and appeared to be in excellent condition except where the street had been patched. What a great movie set that could have made. None of the street tracks that I know of served a dual purpose for freight movement. Of course the electric division tracks such as the back line that served business continued to function up until the end of company operations.

        I've said this before, on South Main in Gloversville, near our beloved Palace Diner, I remember an excavation project in the 1950's to get at utility lines that were below abandoned ties that had been left in the street. It was a real mess of a job, cutting through the ties 8 to 12 inches below street level with chainsaws.

        Wake up all, the election is over,
        Saul

        --
        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org

        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 14, 2006
          You'd make a hell of a mailman in Gloversville.

          PKL

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 15, 2006
            You grew up in Gloversville too Paul, did you say South Main, or just Main
            Street?  I'm sure you'd say SOUTH main!

            Gino

            --
            www.ginosrailpage.com
            www.fjgrr.org
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 15, 2006
              I don't recall that I ever thought of East Fulton Street that way but it was
              West Fulton Street and South Main Street and South Kingsboro Ave. The
              mailman comment was because the numbers started at the Four Corners in each
              direction and at E. Fulton for the two Kingsboros mentioned. I carried
              papers to N. Kingsboro Ave but can't recall if the numbers started at East
              State Street (another one). Also East Boulevard and North Boulevard were a
              continuation of the same thoroughfare; and the numbered Avenues from Eighth
              to Twelfth were east and west. Seems to have been more common than I had
              thought - but then why would I? I never aspired to be a mailman. Any
              others one of us can think of?

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 15, 2006
                You know, I guess I never realized that the addresses were different for those parts of
                South and North Main.  Perry Street in Johnstown was the same way?  Like I said,
                when we talked about going to a business on Main Street, we just said it's on Main
                Street, not South or North.  Kids not in the know I guess!

                Gino

                <fjgrailroad@ gmail.com>
                >To:
                FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com