Re: [FJGRailroad] Odd Thoughts

  • Dick Ryall
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2006
      Hey guys I drove one of those orange chevy vans for
      Wentworth........dick
    • peter sefton
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 13, 2006

        I hope someone got a picture of Wentworth’s before it was too late!

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 13, 2006
          Was it Wentworth, or some other bakery, that had trucks with an electric transmission? They could drive standing up and the floor of the cab was close to the ground because there was no drive shaft.

          The K & S  bakery on Kingsborough Avenue at Franklin Street had horse drawn bakery wagons with a big gong on the outside on which the driver played a ditty with a ball peen hammer. One driver named Kobuskie also own a neat Packard. .......Malcolm
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 13, 2006
            I call it Perry Street the whole way.  Just like Kingsboro.  There's North and South,
            but it's all Kingsboro.  Also, there's East and West Fulton, but I call it all Fulton.
            There's South Main Street and North Main Street.  I call it all Main Street, get the picture?
            That's what my family calls them too!!!

            Gino

            On 11/11/06, Dave Brennan <oldcrab62@...> wrote:

              Gino,
                  Perry st. is south of Gloversville  BUT  it is North Perry in Johnstown.
            Oldcrab.

            Gino's Railpage <fjgrailroad@ gmail.com> wrote:
            Saul,

            There is still a little piece of street track left where Miller Street turned onto
            South Perry.  It curves in the direction of the Fairgrounds Trolley Depot!

            Gino

            --
            www.ginosrailpage.com
            www.fjgrr.org

            www.ginosrailpage.com
            www.fjgrr.org
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 14, 2006
              You'd make a hell of a mailman in Gloversville.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 15, 2006
                You grew up in Gloversville too Paul, did you say South Main, or just Main
                Street?  I'm sure you'd say SOUTH main!

                Gino

                --
                www.ginosrailpage.com
                www.fjgrr.org
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 15, 2006
                  I don't recall that I ever thought of East Fulton Street that way but it was
                  West Fulton Street and South Main Street and South Kingsboro Ave. The
                  mailman comment was because the numbers started at the Four Corners in each
                  direction and at E. Fulton for the two Kingsboros mentioned. I carried
                  papers to N. Kingsboro Ave but can't recall if the numbers started at East
                  State Street (another one). Also East Boulevard and North Boulevard were a
                  continuation of the same thoroughfare; and the numbered Avenues from Eighth
                  to Twelfth were east and west. Seems to have been more common than I had
                  thought - but then why would I? I never aspired to be a mailman. Any
                  others one of us can think of?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 15, 2006
                    You know, I guess I never realized that the addresses were different for those parts of
                    South and North Main.  Perry Street in Johnstown was the same way?  Like I said,
                    when we talked about going to a business on Main Street, we just said it's on Main
                    Street, not South or North.  Kids not in the know I guess!

                    Gino

                    <fjgrailroad@ gmail.com>
                    >To:
                    FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com