Trolley Tracks

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 10, 2006
      The tracks are still there under parts of north Main St. in Gloversville,
      and also on Main St. in Amsterdam. Road construction projects within the
      last five years in both places confirmed.

      Here is the next question: do trolley tracks in the middle of the street
      carry a different substructure than a normal freight line? Or, is it just
      ballast, ties, and rails, with pavement on top of that?

      -Aaron
    • Gerald Snyder
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
        I'm not sure about main St., but up until late this
        summer I thought the only remaining trolley tracks in
        Amsterdam streets were the ones still on the surface
        at the Rockton Wye. Then I noticed a series of narrow
        holes in the surface of Division Street in from of the
        First Niagara (Amsterdam Savings) Bank building. Sure
        enough, about 4-5 inches below the street surface,
        there were the tracks. I don't know how far they
        extend, but there's at least some still buried under
        there. Back in the early 1970's when they put in the
        new Rt. 30 bridge, I watched them raze the old River
        Street bridge. Buried in what was left of the
        pavement and bridge deck were the installed but never
        connected trolley tracks for the planned line to the
        south side of the city.
        Jerry
        --- Aaron Keller <akeller1979@...> wrote:

        > The tracks are still there under parts of north Main
        > St. in Gloversville,
        > and also on Main St. in Amsterdam. Road
        > construction projects within the
        > last five years in both places confirmed.
        >
        > Here is the next question: do trolley tracks in the
        > middle of the street
        > carry a different substructure than a normal freight
        > line? Or, is it just
        > ballast, ties, and rails, with pavement on top of
        > that?
        >
        > -Aaron

        Sponsored Link

        Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
        $510k for $1,698/mo. Calculate new payment!
        www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
      • Gino DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
          There's some tracks left in front of the old trolley
          barn on Division, right? They were there when we
          searched Amsterdam for an old get-together. I'm sure
          they could have been paved over since...

          Gino

          Sponsored Link

          $200,000 mortgage for $660/ mo -
          30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt -
          http://yahoo.ratemarketplace.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
            I don't have any shots of the FJ&G constucting their street-running-trolley
            lines, but I've a couple for the SRC.  They definately built it with ties and
            some sort of ballast and then put brick or dirt around it.  I don't think the
            pavement came for a while.

            Gino

            www.ginosrailpage.com
            www.fjgrr.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
              A few years ago they repaved Rte. 30 through Amsterdam (the old part of
              Main St. that they didn't tear out during Urban Renewal). The trolley
              tracks are all still there. I didn't take any pictures, though... sorry.
              I think it may have happened while I was in college.

              Construction work on North Main St. in Gloversville also involved the
              tearing-up of some of the street between the Cumberland Farms and the post
              office. Tracks were revealed there as well.

              In both cases, I believe the tracks were laid even with the old paving
              stones. It would be a mess to tear all that stuff up.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 15, 2006
                Aaron,

                A few years ago, Paul Larner and myself were exploring Amsterdam and we noticed a piece of
                track behind a gas-station on Market Street Hill.  This track was the lead to the Bunn Trestle
                Trolley Bridge.  The next year when I went back with a camera, it was paved over!

                Gino