Re: Re: [dandh] some ask for it , you all got it....plus an additional comment

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      Forgive me list owners for cross posting but I am still amused by part of
      this message and I thought the other lists would enjoy it.

      Over on Guilford errr excuse me Pan Am Railways or do I mean Springfield
      Terminal????????????? Well anyway they use a document that sounds like what
      is being described...................

      by the way over at Rotterdam Junction at 16:00 today were Guilford units
      690, 621, 507 and 518.....

      except possibly for the GP-9s, I think the 621 is one of the oldest units
      on any large railroad today.......................

      And if you will permit me to continue on what is essentially an off topic
      rant, allow me to provide you with an excerpt reminiscent of "From the
      Archives".....

      Forgive me if I have told this story before....But I still find it very
      amusing.....

      It was the early 1980s and my buddy Bob decided to join the United States
      Navy. He spent some time at Great Lakes Naval Station. Bob could get leave
      on Saturday morning so we agreed to meet on Saturday morning in Chicago. I
      arrived a day early and checked out Chicago. As you all know
      there is a lot to see. I wound up in the Belt Railway Yard because they were
      still operating ALCOs. Also it just kind of happened. Recognizing that the
      BELT is not the most railfan friendly, I chose to take pictures from the car
      and right next to the BELT Police department. I figured they might not see
      me if I was right under thier nose. The strategy worked. I saw lots of power
      including these odd EMD SD units that I wasn't quite sure about.

      I met up with Bob on Saturday morning and I took him to my Guerrilla railfan
      spot. My foggy recollection is that the PD building sort of faced the the
      Railroad so by pulling up close, you were virtually invisible to the PD.
      After a few minutes of ALCO C-424s (I think) we rolled around the circle and
      Bob spotted the Santa Fe SD units. But what were those hastily applied spray
      can paint marks.

      Sure enough right under the cab in blue spray paint were the letters ST.

      "Gee Bob", I remember saying, "The only thing I can think of is this little
      railroad called the Springfield Terminal in Vermont. But that really can't
      be because they only run a few miles and use a trackmobile..............."

      So come on,......what's in your archives ?