From the Archives Conrail MofW part 11

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2006
      As I noted at the time of my Conrail employment in the Track Department, I
      lived near Harmon. One evening while relaxing, I had the scanner on and I
      overheard the Dispatcher say that there had been a collission at Harmon. I
      jumped up put on my hard hat and drove to Harmon.

      What had actually happened was a set of MUs had bumped into a set of M-1's
      on the platform at Harmon. Back then it was not unusual to allow two trains
      onto the platform on track 3 if they were both going into the yard. Well I
      do not know what the engineer of the MU set was thinking but he pulled up to
      the M-1 set. and bumped. Nothing went off the track but it was enough that
      someone noticed and there was some sort of investigation.

      Going there was not necessarily a mistake, but there was no real purpose in
      being there either. But I had an official reason to be there. I wandered up
      to the Tainmaster on the scene and introduced myself. He told me to stand
      by. I stood by for a half hour or so and he was busy speaking to different
      people on the scene and over the radio.

      At some point he looked at me and asked the chief (who ever it was) if they
      needed me. This may have been the most curious part of the whole incident.
      Who ever the trainmaster was he turned to me and said, "Yeah what are you
      doing here?".

      Whoever he was talking to on the radio asked who called me to the scene.
      This is one of those awkward times when you wonder whether to tell the
      truth.

      "Well I heard it over the radio and thought you might need some help."

      The trainmaster looked at me and, satisfied with my response, returned to
      the radio conversation. A few minutes later he told me that they did not
      need me and I went back home.

      I thought it was curious that he did not probe more. I may have told him it
      was a scanner because he would certainly have asked why I had a company
      radio had I said anything else.

      After the fact it occurred to me that I ought to be a bit more